[comp.sys.mac] Easy ATM Application

chesnutt@adobe.COM (Stan Chesnutt) (12/30/89)

Since ATM (Adobe Type Manager) allows arbitrary-sized scaling of Adobe
outline fonts, I want to suggest the following program:

BANNER!   Yep, that generations-old program that spits out long messages
	  on fan-fold paper.

I'd write this little program myself, but I'm no Mac expert.  But I will
take a shot at describing what it would do ....

Present a dialog box: a scrollable menu with all of the Type 1 fonts that
ATM can use.  Prompt for a message.  Do the magic stuff to request the
characters through the Mac font machine.  ATM should step in and give the
application a HUGE bitmap.  Send this bitmap to the printer.  Voila!

So who will be first?

--
Stan Chesnutt						    Adobe Systems, Inc.
{decwrl,apple,sun}!adobe!chesnutt    or    chesnutt@adobe.com

ADAM.FRIX@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (ADAM FRIX) (01/02/90)

Stan Chesnutt writes:

SC> Since ATM (Adobe Type Manager) allows arbitrary-sized
SC> scaling of Adobe outline fonts, I want to suggest the
SC> following program:
SC>
SC> BANNER! Yep, that generations-old program that spits out
SC> long messages  on fan-fold paper.

Check the major online services.  ATM Banner is out, has been for a few
weeks.  I found it on America OnLine.

--Adam--

--
ADAM FRIX via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!ADAM.FRIX

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (01/06/90)

In article <1573@adobe.UUCP> chesnutt@adobe.COM (Stan Chesnutt) writes:
>Since ATM (Adobe Type Manager) allows arbitrary-sized scaling of Adobe
>outline fonts, I want to suggest the following program:
>
>BANNER!   Yep, that generations-old program that spits out long messages
>	  on fan-fold paper.

 It's already been done by someone named Jeffrey Backes. I believe the
latest version can be had on Compu$erve (I have version 1.2.2, created
Nov. 30th, 1989.) This program (when used with ATM) gives you characters
up to 480 points in size, and 1-3 lines of text. You can also paste PICTs
into your banner and freely position/resize them, which is very nice.

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud