[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: Multiple monitors

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (01/06/90)

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>You must be joking.  Have you ever programmed the Mac for multiple
>monitors?

I have.

>	   It's no cakewalk.

What?? It's not that difficult.  Took longer to install a second
monitor to test it with.

>				I am just beginning to write code for
>multiple monitors, and it seems to be the same old stupid story:

>1.  Check if you have multiple monitors.

Why on earth would you care??

>2.  If so, then invoke all sorts of special-case software to deal with
>them (like the size a window may zoom, and the way you paint the
>desktop).

-BZZZZT!-  Sorry, try again.  Apple has a rather simple interface that
allows multiple monitors without all this pain.  I recently wrote the
upgrade to a terminal package.  One of the features for this upgrade
was to allow the terminal window to move (no flames -- I did not write
the original).  Part of making it move included making it work
correctly with multiple monitors.  In the end, there were NO SPECIAL
CASES FOR MULTIPLE MONITORS.  (There was some special case software
involved.  I wanted the keyboard lights to work.  The Mac Plus and the
Standard Keyboard don't have lights.  Thus my one special case.)

+C
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (01/07/90)

>>				I am just beginning to write code for
>>multiple monitors, and it seems to be the same old stupid story:
>
>>1.  Check if you have multiple monitors.
>
>Why on earth would you care??

The Following is Speculation by a Beginning Mac Programmer:

I think I might know what's going on here.  In general, any application ever
written for a Mac (that followed IM guidelines) will work transparently on
multiple monitors--or so I assume.  HOWEVER, the keyword is "transparently".

Say, for example, you wanted to write a debugger that popped up on the second
monitor.  Then you wold obviously have to test for its existence and its
location as a part of the virtual desktop.  Another example would be, say,
an After Dark (a screen blanker) routine.  You might want each screen to
have its own copy of the animation going at once, not one huge, screen-spanning
animation.

I believe that all applications start up in the designated "main" monitor, and
if you wanted things to come up on a second monitor, you have to do something
about it.  Is this correct?
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)