[comp.sys.mac] 105-key Mac Pro Keyboard Good Buy?

jeff@janus.Quotron.com (jeff marder) (01/05/90)

In the Jan issue of MacUser, this keyboard is advertised in the
Programs Plus ad.  It comes with Tempo II macro software.  The package
is around 119.00

Anyone use this keyboard.  Is it fully compatible with Apple extended
keyboard?   Is this a good buy???

Has this keyboard been reviewed anywhere?
Jeff Marder
Quotron Systems   213-302-4316

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (01/06/90)

jeff@janus.Quotron.com (jeff marder) writes:

>In the Jan issue of MacUser, this keyboard is advertised in the
>Programs Plus ad.  It comes with Tempo II macro software.  The package
>is around 119.00

>Anyone use this keyboard.  Is it fully compatible with Apple extended
>keyboard?   Is this a good buy???

If it is the keyboard that I think it is, it is also sold by
cutting edge for about $139, and by ehman for $99.The way to tell
is to look for a rainbow stripe on the lower left side.
I have two at home.  The feel is not as good as that of the Apple
extended keyboard, but other than that, it is fully compatable.
Anyway, I'm satisfied.
+C

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (01/07/90)

In article <503@janus.Quotron.com> jeff@janus.Quotron.com (jeff marder) writes:

>In the Jan issue of MacUser, this keyboard is advertised in the
>Programs Plus ad.  It comes with Tempo II macro software.  The package
>is around 119.00
>
>Anyone use this keyboard.  Is it fully compatible with Apple extended
>keyboard?   Is this a good buy???

I have just received mine (from MacWharehouse: $118), and have tested
with a variety of applications, macro packages, terminal emulation
software, etc. without any problems.

The feel of the keyboard is a more subjective matter. While I like it
a lot, my wife hates it and very much prefers the Apple keyboard. As
far as Tempo II is concerned, I don't think it is worth paying the
extra twenty bucks. You can get essentially the same keyboard from
Ehman Engineering for $99.

Tempo II in my opinion is a piece of crap. In operations like closing
windows and pressing buttons it is much less reliable than QuicKeys.
It crashes frequently under Virtual II, and the editing features for
modifying existing macros are primitive at best. Considering you get
MacroMaker for free, I'd rather live without being able to repeat a
macro n times than destabilize my system.

>Has this keyboard been reviewed anywhere?

Since it is a fairly new product, not that I know of. There is,
however, a review of the almost identical Cutting edge Mac-105
Keyboard in the February 1989 issue of MacUser.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)