[comp.sys.mac] Vaccine hangs Mac II ci ?

lehotsky@osf.org (Alan Lehotsky) (01/05/90)

I just tried to install Vaccine V1.0 into a Mac IIci with a Radius Fullpage
Display.  The machine hangs during the boot sequence.  Vaccine V1.0 is dated
Mar'88, I just got V1.0.1 off Sumex-Aim, but it's dated Dec'88 - so,
I'm not sure I'll even bother trying it.

Is there an updated version of Vaccine that is IIci safe?

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (01/05/90)

In article <2423@paperboy.OSF.ORG> lehotsky@osf.org (Alan Lehotsky) writes:

>I just tried to install Vaccine V1.0 into a Mac IIci with a Radius Fullpage
>Display.  The machine hangs during the boot sequence.  Vaccine V1.0 is dated
>Mar'88, I just got V1.0.1 off Sumex-Aim, but it's dated Dec'88 - so,
>I'm not sure I'll even bother trying it.
>
>Is there an updated version of Vaccine that is IIci safe?

 I've used Vaccine 1.01 on my ci with no ill effects.

Terry

Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (01/08/90)

In article <2423@paperboy.OSF.ORG>, lehotsky@osf.org (Alan Lehotsky) writes...

>I just tried to install Vaccine V1.0 into a Mac IIci with a Radius Fullpage
>Display.  The machine hangs during the boot sequence.
Anything that draws during the boot sequence is likely to hang
your IIci.  Apple has a recent technote (numbered 200 something)
explaining why this is, but of course most INITs predate this
warning.  I get this if I install Vaccine along with KillVirus,
which would normally trigger off a Vaccine warning about
KillVirus installing a CODE resource.  Try booting with
everything except Vaccine, to let anything that wants reconfigure
the System file.  Then add Vaccine & reboot.  This works for us
just fine.  (Dayna's "DOS Mounter" init had the same symptoms,
at least in the demo that SUMEX has, but they just sent us an
updated version that is IIci compatible).