[comp.sys.mac] Can I print Mac PS files on a LN03R PS printer attached to a VAX?

dennis@all41.csc.ti.com (01/05/90)

     I have an LN03R PostScript printer connected to our VAXes and have not
yet been able to print any Mac Postscript file except for ones generated in
the PageMaker EPS (Encapsulated Post Script) mode.  I have created a laserprep
file (with cmd-K) and sent it to the printer ahead of a PostScript file
both generated in MacDraw II, but either get the error:

%LPS-W-INVACC, invalidaccess: Attempt to access restricted object or capability
- offending command is setdefaulttimeouts

or when I take out the line with "setdefaulttimeouts" in it, no error appears
but neither does any Postscript output (the flag pages appear as if the LN03R
believes it has properly processed the file, but no output).

     Has anyone successfully gotten their LN03R (or LPS40 I think is the
same for requirements) to print out Mac generated Postscript files?  I'm
using the 5.2 LaserWriter driver.

Thanks,

John Dennis
DENNIS@HCVDL.VDL.TI.COM

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (01/08/90)

In article <178@all41.csc.ti.com>, dennis@all41.csc.ti.com writes:

>      I have an LN03R PostScript printer connected to our VAXes and have not
> yet been able to print any Mac Postscript file except for ones generated in
> the PageMaker EPS (Encapsulated Post Script) mode.  I have created a laserprep
> file (with cmd-K) and sent it to the printer ahead of a PostScript file
> both generated in MacDraw II, but either get the error:
>
> %LPS-W-INVACC, invalidaccess: Attempt to access restricted object or capability
> - offending command is setdefaulttimeouts
>
>	[ some text deleted ]
> Thanks,
>
> John Dennis
> DENNIS@HCVDL.VDL.TI.COM

I have successfully made modifications to three versions of the LaserPrep
dictionary so that it will print on non-Apple laserwriters (including LPS40
and LN03R). The three versions are:

LaserPrep_40.pro:  {appledict version #40
LaserPrep_60.pro:  {appledict version #65 1
LaserPrep_68.pro:  {appledict version #68 0

You can find copies of them in the anonymous account (password anything and
cd to pub) on aerospace.aero.org

--
Louis McDonald		Internet: louis@aerospace.aero.org
The Aerospace Corp.	America OnLine: Louis Mc