[comp.sys.mac] Address Book Plus questions

huggins@ticipa.ti.com (Gray Huggins) (01/07/90)

I would like to know if anyone has used the Address Book Plus program to
produce an address book like the ones used in the DayTimers?  DayTimer has
a program for PC (and Macs I believe) that I have used in the past, but it
sounds like Address Book Plus has lots more neat stuff.  Also, how difficult
is it to import an address db from MS Works into ABP?

Thanks,
Gray Huggins					huggins@ticipa.ti.com

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/08/90)

In article <342@ticipa.ti.com> huggins@ticipa.ti.com (Gray Huggins) writes:
>I would like to know if anyone has used the Address Book Plus program to
>produce an address book like the ones used in the DayTimers?

The purpose of Address Book Plus is to print small Address Books. Since
you can define your own paper sizes, you can certainly print pages to fit
a book like a Day-Timers. The paper that comes in the box, and some of the
pre-defined paper sizes are directly compatible. I keep my personal book
in a Day-time leather binder, Day-Timer part number 8822S. I printed it on
the standard paper that comes in the Address Book box.

> Also, how difficult is it to import an address db from MS Works into ABP?

Address Book wants to import text files that have one person's data
per line, the fields of the data separated by commas or tabs, like:

Jane	Doe	President	FripperTrons	123 Main St.	Columbus ...

If you don't have all the fields Address Book wants, there is a dialog to
tell it to skip certain field s of the import.

You should be able to use the mail-merge features of MsWord to have it
write an appropriate text file, but I am not an MsWord expert, so I can't
help you on this one.

Note: I am not unbiased in this matter. I wrote Address Book Plus.

--- David Phillip Oster            --  No, I come from Boston. I just work
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --  in cyberspace.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu