[comp.sys.mac] Computer Insurance

griff@reed.UUCP (Griff McClellan) (01/04/90)

I recently purchased a Mac II and I would like to insure it.  Since
I plan to use my Mac at another person's house, my home owners insurance
will not cover it, nor will his.  So, I need to get in contanct
with companies that will insure my computer against theft, regardless of
where it is stolen from.

Can anyone suggest any companies that do this?  (Keep in mind, I live in
Portland, so these companies should be national or located in Portland.)
Can anyone suggest companies to avoid?

I've heard that a company called SafeWare will insure computers, and that they
advertise in MacWorld.  Any comments on this company?

Please e-mail your responses, as I do not regularly read this group.

Thank you in advance.

Griff

--
                              Griff McClellan
                 griff@reed.bitnet || tektronix!reed!griff

kern@arecibo.aero.org (01/06/90)

In article <13823@reed.UUCP>, griff@reed.UUCP (Griff McClellan) writes...

>I recently purchased a Mac II and I would like to insure it.  Since
>I plan to use my Mac at another person's house, my home owners insurance
>will not cover it, nor will his.  So, I need to get in contanct
>with companies that will insure my computer against theft, regardless of
>where it is stolen from.
>
>Can anyone suggest any companies that do this?
>Can anyone suggest companies to avoid?

There's a company out of Boulder, Colorado named DATA Security Insurance
which will insure your computer and software reasonably.  Their literature
says that they offer more protection than Safeware, but then it is *their*
literature.  Their premiums run in the range of $35/yr for $2000 worth of
coverage up to $300/yr for $50000 worth of coverage.  Their phone number
is 1-800-822-0901.

     JC Kern
     kern@arecibo.aero.org
     (w):  213-336-3573

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/06/90)

In article <13823@reed.UUCP> griff@reed.UUCP (Griff McClellan) writes:

>I've heard that a company called SafeWare will insure computers, and that they
>advertise in MacWorld.  Any comments on this company?

I have insured my computers with SafeWare for the last 3 years, both at home
and at work.  Fortuantely, I haven't had to test their response yet :-)
the basic $5000 coverage costs $69, I believe.  The policy says it covers
just about everything except theft from your car.  They will cover software,
hardware, anything which you can back up with purchase receipts.  They
will also cover damage to equipment or software from power spikes (or so they
claim)....

Another nice feature is that they will cover equipment that you borrow or
rent, which could be handy if you decide to take the office computer home
for the weekend.

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

jmh@ns.network.com (Joel Halpern) (01/09/90)

When I got my MacII, I checked on insurance.  I called and got a quote
from safeware.  I then called the folks carrying my homeowners insurance.
It was cheaper just to get a rider on my homeowners insurance.

Joel M. Halpern