[comp.sys.mac] Looking for info on Dataframes

syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) (01/05/90)

I would appreciate any information anyone has on SuperMac Dataframe hard
drives - especially along the lines of the following:

	- reliability compared to other brands
	- length of warranty
	- type of software it comes with
		- does the included software allow me to partition the drive
		  or do I have to buy a separate program
	- speed
	- noise level (compared to a Jasmine - I've heard Jasmines and they
	  are far too loud for me)

	In general, I'd like to know its advantages/disadvantages over other
name brands.

Don Lee - Cornell University/student
Bitnet  : syzy @ crnlvax5
InterNet: syzy @ syzy @ vax5.cit.cornell.edu
CIS     : 70731,3413 (not read very regularly - $$)

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/06/90)

Don,

I'm BIASED, but I'd be more than happy to send you any information and/or
product literature about our DataFrame products.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

mbrown@dec3.osf.org (Mark Brown) (01/06/90)

In article <2904.25a3d200@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) writes:
>I would appreciate any information anyone has on SuperMac Dataframe hard
>drives
>	- reliability compared to other brands

I own a DataFrame 30 (external), and I've used it for three years, no problems.
>	- length of warranty

Don't remember (which I consider a good sign).
>	- type of software it comes with

SuperSpool, SuperLaserSpool, DiskFit, Sentinel (SuperMac software).
>		- does the included software allow me to partition the drive

No partitioning software included...
>	- speed

Mediocre. Not too slow, but not blindingly fast, either.
>	- noise level (compared to a Jasmine - I've heard Jasmines and they
>	  are far too loud for me)

Normal - a little quieter than a Jasmine.

>	In general, I'd like to know its advantages/disadvantages over other
>name brands.

Sturdiness. Reliability. Friendliness.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |      "Jackson! You ripped his arm off!"
The Good     mbrown@osf.org |
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown|      "So?! He has a spare!"
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |                -- Action Jackson

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (01/07/90)

In article <2462@paperboy.OSF.ORG> mbrown@dec3.osf.org (Mark Brown) writes:
>In article <2904.25a3d200@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) writes:
>>		- does the included software allow me to partition the drive
>
>No partitioning software included...

Get the latest dataframe system software from SuperMac - it includes
partitioning software (you can partition or not, if you do you can put
a password on each partition if you like - or encrypt some partitions
[slower but it's your choice])

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
"Why is it that the US can invade Panama but not the Vatican Embassy?"

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/09/90)

Mark,

Just a MINOR correction...SuperMac does provide partitioning capabilities
with our Manager 4.0 software.  Manager 4.0.3 (current version) is a standard
feature of all current DataFrame products and it is backwards compatible with
all previous DataFrame products.  As for speed, our slowest drive is 40 msec
and the fastest is 16 msec.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology
fabian@cup.portal.com or sun!cup.portal.com!fabian