[comp.sys.mac] print buffers

mf4f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Fichman) (12/28/89)

I have what I think is a simple question for the Mac SE.

Is there available a good commercial (or public domain) print spooler,
print buffer so that I can print and not have to watch my screen.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Fichman
Carnegie-Mellon

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (01/06/90)

In article <4ZaGffG00WB605NkVP@andrew.cmu.edu> mf4f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Fichman) writes:
> Is there available a good commercial (or public domain) print spooler,
> print buffer so that I can print and not have to watch my screen.

I used SuperSpool on my SE for a while, but tired of the problems.
I was using System 6.0.2; I don't recall the SuperSpool version.  It was
about one year old.

It had an annoying feature: when using MultiFinder, the keyboard and
mouse would "go to sleep" for about 10 seconds at a time every few minutes
while the printer was printing.  It made the machine very hard to use while
background printing took place.  I confirmed the effect on a friend's SE, and
on a virgin system right "out of the box".

Some programs, such a Managing Your Money, would crash if printing was
attempted when SuperSpool was installed.

I really liked what the program COULD HAVE BEEN, but I couldn't reconcile
myself to living with the reality.

The SuperSpool tech support folks were unable to help.  I finally got a refund.
--
    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/09/90)

Jeff,

What version were you using?  SuperSpool 4.0 or 5.0?  I'd be interested to
hear your particular experiences.

As for MYM, I tend to suspect that it's actually their problem.  Why?
Apparently, Meca's tech support people have been extremely unhelpful to
other SuperSpool/SLS users in providing information.  Specifically,
whether MYM bypasses the standard Mac print interface or the printer
drivers.  However, we are compatible with Survivor Software's MacMoney
and I've been told by Monogram that were compatible Dollars & Sense.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian