[comp.sys.mac] Pirates! by MicroProse

mdh@linus.UUCP (Mike Houle (version .6 beta)) (12/27/89)

   Hello,

     I just want to tell everybody about a new called Pirates!
     (Note:  This is not a review about the game, this is a complaint
      about the companies policy about copy protection and backups.
      all opinions are mine, not my companies, so please read accordingly)

     Pirates is by a company called MicroProse and it is a Black & White game
 for the Macintosh (although it is color for other computers).  If that isn't
 bad enough, it is copy protected.   Now I understand why some companies
 feel that they have to copy protect there software, but I hate to ever
 use a Master Disk for anything.  I feel much safer using a copy that
 could accidently get ruined.  In addition to copy protection (which
 is just an inconvience) they also use the old enter some information
 from the manual just to make sure you didn't get around our copy
 protection...

      Now, I can see using one of the above methods, but using both
 for just a games is a bit redundant.  Honestly, if someone is going
 to take the time to crack the program, do they think that they wont also
 take the time to copy the different pieces of information from the manual
 that the program is going to ask for.  This just makes the game harder to
 start, or start over as the case may be...

      Also, they say in the manual that if you lose the Master diskette,
 you can get a backup, BUT THEY CHARGE YOU $10 FOR THE BACKUP.  That is
 just a bit unreasonable, is it to cover the cost of disk duplication and
 mailling (I think not...). They say that the $10 does not include a new
 manual, so why do they charge $10.

     If anyone from this company is listening...  Lighten up...
 Remember that there is no copy protection that can not be worked around
 given time.  If you wish to make a game unusable to people who pirate
 software, do as you do with asking for information from the manual.
 Sierra does this, and I think it is wonderful.  I can keep my master
 disk safe and sound and only have to worry about spilling coke on my
 manual... :-)

     So If you are thinking about buying any games from this company,
 remember there policy on copy protection (it was a gift for me,
 otherwise I might not have bought it).

P.S.   If anyone knows a way that I can circumvent the message to insert
 the Master Disk (any good hack),  I would love to know it so I can rest
 easier playing the game.

<--------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Sorry to be preachy, but I was in a it got me mad to have to keep
 on inserting the "Master Disk" whenever I tried to start the game.

--
  Mike  Houle                         |
              mdh@linus.mitre.org     |  If I wanted a Clue, I would go out

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (12/28/89)

One of the columnists for PC Magazine (probably John Dvorak) said it
well:  "Don't trust any software that doesn't trust you."

What I read about MicroProse's copy protection schemes on the PC is the
reason I haven't purchased their "Red Storm Rising" game.

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (01/03/90)

[mdh@linus.UUCP (Mike Houle (version .6 beta)) writes about the annoying
 copy protection on the game Pirates!]

My father-in-law recently bought this game and was incredibly frustrated
with the copy protection.  He said that it got in the way so much that
it essentially made the game unplayable.  He decided to "just say no"
and called MacConnection and got an authorization to return it.

So, the advice seems to be -- AVOID THIS GAME.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (01/05/90)

In article <1031@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP writes:
>My father-in-law recently bought this game and was incredibly frustrated
>with the copy protection.  He said that it got in the way so much that
>it essentially made the game unplayable.  He decided to "just say no"
>and called MacConnection and got an authorization to return it.
>
>So, the advice seems to be -- AVOID THIS GAME.

As the author of Pirates! for the Macintosh when I worked at
MicroProse, I'm genuinely curious about this, as I tried to make the
copy protection as unobtrusive as possible, within the dictates of
company policy.  With Pirates!, you need to (1) insert the master disk
briefly when starting the program, and (2) look up a piece of
information in the manual when creating a new character, which should
happen fairly infrequently (once you've gotten into the game).

That's the theory, anyway.  Which part didn't your father-in-law like?

Disclaimer: I am now a full-time graduate student at MIT, no longer
emplyed by MicroProse, and I do not receive any kind of royalties or
payment based upon sales of Pirates! for the Macintosh.

Russell Finn
rsfinn@athena.mit.edu

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (01/06/90)

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) writes (quoting me):
>>My father-in-law recently bought this game and was incredibly frustrated
>>with the copy protection.  He said that it got in the way so much that
>>it essentially made the game unplayable.  He decided to "just say no"
>>and called MacConnection and got an authorization to return it.

>As the author of Pirates! for the Macintosh when I worked at
>MicroProse, I'm genuinely curious about this, as I tried to make the
>copy protection as unobtrusive as possible, within the dictates of
>company policy.  With Pirates!, you need to (1) insert the master disk
>briefly when starting the program, and (2) look up a piece of
>information in the manual when creating a new character, which should
>happen fairly infrequently (once you've gotten into the game).

I believe he said that he had to insert the master disk every time he
restored from a save.  This was terribly annoying.  He felt like he was
going to wear out the master disk in no time (and Copy II wasn't able to
make a backup copy -- MicroProse will sell master disk backups for $10,
I understand, but that's more than he's willing to pay).

Also the fact that the game hits the player with a double whammy was
annoying.  Not just key disk copy protection, not just look-it-up-in-
the-manual copy protection.  One or the other, he could live with, but
both was just too much for him to tolerate.

I'll send him a copy of this (he's not on the net) and see if he has any
more comments for you.

--

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (01/07/90)

In article <1041@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>I believe he said that he had to insert the master disk every time he
>restored from a save.  This was terribly annoying.  He felt like he was
>going to wear out the master disk in no time (and Copy II wasn't able to
>make a backup copy -- MicroProse will sell master disk backups for $10,
>I understand, but that's more than he's willing to pay).

Pirates! isn't really set up for frequent "restoring from a save", the
way you would in a traditional adventure game (save position -- open
the door -- get nuked by the dragon -- restore position -- don't open
the door).  You have to actually start to quit the game; then, when it
asks you if you want to start another game, say "yes".  At this point,
you're back at the first screen, and you can start up from a saved
position.  If, however, you actually exit the game and restart it, you
do have to reinsert the master disk (as you would anytime you launch
the game).

>Also the fact that the game hits the player with a double whammy was
>annoying.  Not just key disk copy protection, not just look-it-up-in-
>the-manual copy protection.  One or the other, he could live with, but
>both was just too much for him to tolerate.

(Would you believe I did a game at MicroProse with *three* forms of
copy-protection?)  MicroProse's aggressive copy-protection policy
comes from having been burned badly in the lower end markets
(specifically the Atari eight-bit machines), and not being ready to
believe that similar practices won't take place in the PC or Macintosh
markets.  On the other hand, if they learn about sales being lost as a
result...  I may forward them a copy of this thread.

>I'll send him a copy of this (he's not on the net) and see if he has any
>more comments for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing them.  Let me point out (before I get
roasted) that I'm trying to explain MicroProse's policy (as I
understand it), not necessarily defend it.

-- Russ

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (01/08/90)

In article <1990Jan5.055220.4463@athena.mit.edu> rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) writes:
>As the author of Pirates! for the Macintosh when I worked at
>MicroProse, I'm genuinely curious about this, as I tried to make the
>copy protection as unobtrusive as possible, within the dictates of
>company policy.  With Pirates!, you need to (1) insert the master disk
>briefly when starting the program, and (2) look up a piece of
>information in the manual when creating a new character, which should
>happen fairly infrequently (once you've gotten into the game).
>
>That's the theory, anyway.  Which part didn't your father-in-law like?

I can tell you what I find most annoying about it:  At least with most of
the "provide a piece of information from the manual" type of protection, the
request gives a page number.  Your scheme is cute in that it attempts to
make it look like it's part of the game, but without a page number, it takes
too damned long to find the right table!  I am sorely tempted to take the
time to make myself a "cheat sheet" of all those stupid tables just so I
won't have to keep thumbing through every page of the manual!

If you still have any contact with the folks at MicroProse, tell them that
I for one absolutely will NOT buy any more of their products, no matter HOW
good the game might be, as long as they continue to use copy protection.
Tell them if Spectrum Holobyte can do it, MicroProse can do it.  (An aside
in the strictest confidence:  I have been known to use COPY II to acquire
a (copy-protected) game without paying for it.  On the other hand, if I
like something from Spectrum Holobyte (which means practically everything
they've done), I make a point of BUYING it.  It's my way of showing support
for companies that don't copy protect.)

And now, since you freely admit to being the author, a comment on the game
itself:  I haven't played it much (partly because of the annoying copy
protection), but is there more to it than have a sword fight, sail the ship,
fight other ships, attack/go into towns?  And why-oh-why can I only save a
game when I'm in a town?!?!?  This is the SECOND most annoying thing about
the game.  Sometimes, I don't have the time to find a friendly town to sail
into (when the girlfriend says, "We're late", you don't say, "Just five more
minutes; I've gotta get back to port.")  So far, I've just been exploring
the game, but I hesitate to start a real compaign for fear that, one day,
I'll lose it (or at least the last n hours progress) because I don't have
time to make port.

--James Preston

martin@m2.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) (01/09/90)

I only have one problem with the copy protection on Pirates.  When I
insert the key disk, my IIci crashes.  It worked fine on the II.
Wouldn't it be funny if the game works fine on the IIci but the copy
protection is the only thing that is making it crash.

Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
                        ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471
                        GENIE: S.MARTIN8    PHONE: (214)-995-0387, 404-1061
I'll have four whole fried chickens and a Coke. -Jake Blues

mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) (01/09/90)

Ugh! Copy Protection! I have recently purchased a game that was so
heavily copy-protected that it would not boot AT ALL on my hardware
configuration! UGH!

I say we boycott ALL copy-protected software on ALL machines until the
developers change the name of their tune. Being a developer, myself, I
can understand the concerns of both sides of the fence- but it's ridiculous
when the software won't run THE FIRST TIME!!!  :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

This annoyance must stop NOW!

	-Mitchell
	 mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP
	 Take no ____ from anyone! (fill in the blank with your favorite
				    four-letter expletive.)

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (01/10/90)

In article <1359@key.COM> jsp@penguin.key.COM (James Preston) writes:
>... is there more to it than have a sword fight, sail the ship,
>fight other ships, attack/go into towns?

Sure.  If you go into taverns, you can acquire pieces of treasure
maps, which can lead you to fabulous wealth.  You can hunt down evil
Spaniards who know where your long-lost sister is being held captive.
If you're of a more peaceful bent, you can effectively become a
merchant trader and make your fortune that way.  Eventually you
acquire wealth and fame, and get to meet the governor's daughter.

Pirates! is a fairly open-ended game, in that there is no specific goal
imposed by the scenario; however, when you retire a character, you get
a score based on how well you did in general terms.

>And why-oh-why can I only save a game when I'm in a town?!?!?

Um... because that's the way it's always been done?  Seriously, I
didn't actually do the game design myself, and this didn't come up
while I was working on the conversion (or I might have considered it).
I suppose you could argue that it's part of the game to plan your
voyage accordingly (and as long as you stay fairly close to the
islands in the Antilles, you should be okay), but you'd probably say I
was feeding you a line, and you might be right...

-- Russ