[comp.sys.mac] Keyboard Shortcuts in File Open Dialog

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (01/03/90)

If you really like to use the keyboard, you don't have to use the mouse
in the Standard File Open dialog.  I found a couple of the shortcuts, but
I had never seen the complete list, until I stumbled onto it in IM IV.
For those who may be interested, here it is:

   Up Arrow               Scroll Up in the file list
   Down Arrow             Scroll Down in the file list
   CMD-Up Arrow           Move Up in the file hierarchy (close current folder)
   CMD-Down Arrow         Open the selected folder
   Tab                    Equivalent to pressing the Drive button
   Return                 Equivalent to Open or Save button (as appropriate)
   Enter                  Same as Return
   CMD-Shift 1            Ejects a diskette in the internal drive

You can jump straight to a file by typing the name.  You only need to type
enough characters to distinguish the name.  The characters need to be typed
in quick succession.  (I.e. if you type 's', the selection will jump to the
first file in the current folder that starts with an "s".  If you pause and
type 'u', it will jump to the "u"s.  But if you type 'su', you will jump to
the first file beginning with "su".)  This shortcut doesn't work in a Save As
dialog, where the file name field receives typed characters.

With these shortcuts, you can open files faster than the command-line fans.
(I.e. compare UNIX vi's ":e ../../templates/status" to, say, a Mac application
"CMD-O CMD-Up CMD-Up te RET st RET", assuming that "te" and "st" are sufficient
to uniquely identify "templates" and "status", respectively.)
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

landman@hanami.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman x61391) (01/10/90)

In article <21578@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
>With these shortcuts, you can open files faster than the command-line fans.
>(I.e. compare UNIX vi's ":e ../../templates/status" to, say, a Mac application
>"CMD-O CMD-Up CMD-Up te RET st RET", assuming that "te" and "st" are sufficient
>to uniquely identify "templates" and "status", respectively.)

Compare vi's ":e ../../te*/st*".  That's right, vi does wildcard matching.
On the command line you can also use file completion ("set filec" to activate
this in csh), where ESCAPE completes the current (partial) filename, and
^D lists all possible completions.  With this feature, even 50-character
filenames are no problem.  Makes it easier to remember what things are...

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman