[comp.sys.mac] IIci/Ehman Hard Drive Problems

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) (01/09/90)

     I'm soon to be purchasing a Mac IIci (finally got tired of waiting for my
Plus to compile...)  I have an 80+MB external Ehman hard drive, which I'd
certainly like to keep using (read, MUST keep using).  But when I tried to
connect it to a couple of ci's, all I got was a pretty error chord and a sad
Mac (error code=0000000F,00000001).
     I seem to recall that this could be caused by the fact that the ci is the
first Mac to check the checksums of SCSI drivers, and some drivers have
invalid checksums.  I also seem to recall that this checksum check could be
disabled by using Resedit to change the name of the driver in a certain way.
Unfortunately, I can't find any articles explaining just how.  Could someone
help me out on this?

dolf@fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (01/10/90)

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) writes:
>      I'm soon to be purchasing a Mac IIci (finally got tired of waiting for my
> Plus to compile...)  I have an 80+MB external Ehman hard drive, which I'd
> certainly like to keep using (read, MUST keep using).  But when I tried to
> connect it to a couple of ci's, all I got was a pretty error chord and a sad
> Mac (error code=0000000F,00000001).
>      I seem to recall that this could be caused by the fact that the ci is the
> first Mac to check the checksums of SCSI drivers, and some drivers have
> invalid checksums.  I also seem to recall that this checksum check could be
> disabled by using Resedit to change the name of the driver in a certain way.
> Unfortunately, I can't find any articles explaining just how.  Could someone
> help me out on this?
If this is indeed the reason (it might very well be), it can be fixed thusly:
Use any program that allows you to access logical blocks on a SCSI drive.
Note that this is not ResEdit and certainly is not the same as a regular
disk editor such as FEdit which can only edit blocks of Macintosh volumes.
Suitable programs are Apple's SEdit, SUM Tools and may be some other too.
Look for a block somewhere in the beginning of the disk which belongs to the
partition map. The partition map usually starts at block 1 and continues for
some 5 to 20 blocks. Each block should begin with the two character 'PM'.
One of those blocks should contains two strings:
"Macintosh...." and "Apple_Driver" (the ... means it can be anything, only the
"Maci" parti is important.
In this block, change the 'M' in "Maci" to anything else and the checksum
code will not be exercised.

Hope this helps you..

--dolf

Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)
SNAIL:           Dept. of Math. and Computing Science, University of Amsterdam,
                 Kruislaan 409, NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands

maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels) (01/10/90)

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) writes:
>      I'm soon to be purchasing a Mac IIci (finally got tired of waiting for my
> Plus to compile...)  I have an 80+MB external Ehman hard drive, which I'd
> certainly like to keep using (read, MUST keep using).  But when I tried to
> connect it to a couple of ci's, all I got was a pretty error chord and a sad
> Mac (error code=0000000F,00000001).
>      I seem to recall that this could be caused by the fact that the ci is the
> first Mac to check the checksums of SCSI drivers, and some drivers have
> invalid checksums.  I also seem to recall that this checksum check could be
> disabled by using Resedit to change the name of the driver in a certain way.
> Unfortunately, I can't find any articles explaining just how.  Could someone
> help me out on this?

This looks if the driver on your hard disk is incompatible with the ci.
The sad mac is nothing more than a system error (bomb) if the system error
handler is not yet installed (it is not until the system file is opened).
So, it seems a bomb ID=01 (Bus Error), the driver is accessing nonexistant
memory.

The solution is to upgrade the driver on the disk by using the newest
version of the installer program (or yell at Ehman if the newest version
contains a driver with this behaviour.

As the plus is a much more simple machine, bugs in drivers (and other software)
have less chance to cause problems.

As an aside, the ci is the first mac to correctly check checksums on SCSI
drivers, but the only effect of a bad checksum is that the driver will not load
(because the system thinks it is damaged). It will not cause sad macs or other
crashes as you describe (That is what the check is for, anyway...).

--maarten
In real life:	Maarten Carels
		Computer Science Department
		University of Amsterdam