[comp.sys.mac] Undecipherable Icons

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) (12/28/89)

In article <1328@key.COM> jsp@penguin.key.COM (James Preston) writes:

>Tell me that you knew immediately--without reading any
>documention and without any help from other mac users and without having
>seen any usage of any similar program before--that the little tipping can
>with the stuff pouring out of it was used to fill an area with a pattern.
>Tell me that replacing that cute little picture with the words "fill area"
>wouldn't be more straightforward.  (This is probably not even the best
>example of "undecipherable icon whose meaning could be better conveyed
>with a couple of words", but it's all I can think of right now.)
>
>--James Preston

Ooo ooo!  Can I make a nomination in the "undecipherable icons" category??

How about some of the icons Microsoft used for the keyboard equivalents of
menu commands?  "Option" is defined as split-level lines? Huh?  I still
haven't figured out one of them: the key-equivalent of "Plain for style" is
command-shift-<bracket that fell over>.  Where is this key?? (I do have the
extended keyboard, if some of you are not seeing this displayed as an
equivalent.)

Sure, it's unfair to get on them too much for this, since they did what they
could (and it's better than having the words written out), but I feel like
flaming irresponsibly tonight.  I'll give them this: I like that Word
recognizes my extended keyboard and gives me the extra equivalents for it. If
I could only remember them!

Ciao,
Danno

--
________ --------<--<-@     --------<--<-@     --------<--<-@ ________
\ <O    \ Daniel McKinnon '91            danno@dartmouth.edu / <- O> /

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (12/29/89)

In article <18038@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) writes:

> Ooo ooo!  Can I make a nomination in the "undecipherable icons" category??
>
> How about some of the icons Microsoft used for the keyboard equivalents of
> menu commands?  "Option" is defined as split-level lines? Huh?  I still
> haven't figured out one of them: the key-equivalent of "Plain for style" is
> command-shift-<bracket that fell over>.  Where is this key?? (I do have the
> extended keyboard, if some of you are not seeing this displayed as an
> equivalent.)

Look at your "6" key.  The character above it is called a caret.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (12/29/89)

In article <18038@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) writes:

>Ooo ooo!  Can I make a nomination in the "undecipherable icons" category??
>
>How about some of the icons Microsoft used for the keyboard equivalents of
>menu commands?  "Option" is defined as split-level lines? Huh?  I still
>
>Sure, it's unfair to get on them too much for this, since they did what they
>could (and it's better than having the words written out), but I feel like
>flaming irresponsibly tonight.  I'll give them this: I like that Word

Sorry, Microsoft is not to blame for this.  I can't find it now, but I
_know_ I've seen the notes from Apple with the open up arrow as Shift, and the
strange split-level thing for Option.  I think I looked it up when I first
saw Word 4.  Sigh.

Someone design a better Option icon, please!

--
-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                  nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink

hirchert@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (12/29/89)

fiddler%concerti@Sun.COM writes
>In article <18038@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) writes:
>>
>> Ooo ooo!  Can I make a nomination in the "undecipherable icons" category??
>>
>> How about some of the icons Microsoft used for the keyboard equivalents of
>> menu commands?  "Option" is defined as split-level lines? Huh?  I still
>> haven't figured out one of them: the key-equivalent of "Plain for style" is
>> command-shift-<bracket that fell over>.  Where is this key?? (I do have the
>> extended keyboard, if some of you are not seeing this displayed as an
>> equivalent.)
>
>Look at your "6" key.  The character above it is called a caret.

That's true, but the character that looks like a "bracket that fell over" is
a fairly commonly used explicit graphic for the space character, and the key
equivalent for "Plain for style is command-shift-space.  (Given that Word marks
spaces with a dot smaller than a period when editing text, it is interesting
that they didn't follow the same convention when displaying command key
equivalents.)

Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) (12/29/89)

I've gotten several helpful replies & followups... I now know that Microsoft
was referring to the space bar.  I know this is a fairly common convention,
as I am a CS major, but it never occured to me in this context.

(I think if they had used a dot, as someone suggested, it would have gotten
confused with "command-period", which would not be very nice.)

Also, Avi of "Ask me EndNote questions" fame points out that Apple designed
the "option" key icon; OK, I'll blame them.  I know it must be tough to think
these things up, but that one is so... esoteric.  Random, really.

Oh well, just another peeve.

Ciao,
Danno
--
________  If the crush of your emotions leaves |||  Daniel McKinnon     ________
\ <O    \  you lying in the dust, then take it ||tragedy@dartmouth.edu / <- O> /

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (01/07/90)

In article <15239@well.UUCP> nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) writes:
>In article <18038@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) writes:
>
>Someone design a better Option icon, please!

Well, I don't know if you're aware of this, but that symbol is used on the
option key in all European keyboards... I believe it was a European standard
that suggested that icon to begin with... so don't go and blame MS... they were
just following the standard...

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

laba-4ad@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Joseph Teo) (01/10/90)

>How about some of the icons Microsoft used for the keyboard equivalents of
>menu commands?  "Option" is defined as split-level lines? Huh?  I still
>haven't figured out one of them: the key-equivalent of "Plain for style" is
>command-shift-<bracket that fell over>.  Where is this key?? (I do have the
>extended keyboard, if some of you are not seeing this displayed as an
>equivalent.)

I thot these originated from Apple.