[comp.sys.mac] How do I unmount with the Desktop Manager?

gjb@cs.brown.edu (Greg Brail) (01/08/90)

I decided to try and optimize the hard disks on an AppleShare server I
manage using the "Optimize" feature in SUM IIs TuneUp program. SUM
won't optimize the disks because there are busy files on them. I
suspect this is because I'm using the Desktop Manager, which is on the
floppy I use to start up the server without AppleShare. Is there
something I have to do to unmount the disks, or is there just some
busy file I don't know about? If it's the latter, how do I find the
file in question and "unbusify" it?

Thanks for the help.

				-greg
Greg Brail
Internet: gjb@cs.brown.edu  BITNET: gjb@browncs.bitnet
UUCP:	..uunet!brunix!gjb  Home:   (401)863-6284

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (01/10/90)

gjb@cs.brown.edu (Greg Brail) writes:

>SUM won't optimize the disks because there are busy files on them. I
>suspect this is because I'm using the Desktop Manager, which is on
>the floppy I use to start up the server without AppleShare. Is there
>something I have to do to unmount the disks, or is there just some
>busy file I don't know about? If it's the latter, how do I find the
>file in question and "unbusify" it?

If you're running 6.0.4, there is explicit support in the Finder for
unmounting Desktop Managered volumes. If you're running a previous
system version, you need to patch the Finder; not really something I'd
recommend doing.

Upgrade to 6.0.4 if you can and your troubles should go away.

Stephan Somogyi       Berlin ist 1 Reise wert.
NetWorkShop Manager
MacUser	              Any opinions expressed above are mine.