bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (01/04/90)

		F C C   Prosed Regulation of Modem Use
		======================================

		The following message was posted on the
		Prodigy Computer Club Bulletin Board.
		It comes from Sam Katon of Staten Is.,
		NY. Thanks Sam!

		              * * *

		A new regulation that the FCC is quietly
		working on will directly affect you as
		the user of a modem. The FCC proposes
		that users of modems pay extra charges
		for use of the public telephone net-
		work which carries their data.

		In addition, computer network services
		such as Prodigy, Compuserv, Tymnet, and
		Telenet would also be charged up to $6.00
		per hour per user for the use of the public
		telephone network. This charge would most
		likely be passed on to the users (you).

		What should you do?

		First, take the time to download this text
		file and the letter herein (if you haven't
		already captured it) and post it on three
		BBSs which aren't already carrying it.

		Second, send three copies of the following
		letter to the addresses provided here.

		It is important to act now. The bureaucrats
		already have it in their heads that modem
		users should subsidize the phone company.
		Let's stand up and make it clear that we
		won't accept any government restriction of
		any type on the free exchange of ideas and
		information.

		              * * *

		A D D R E S S E E S :

		Chairman of the FCC
		1919 M Street N.W.
		Washington, D.C. 20554

		Chairman, Senate Communications
		Subcommittee
		SH-227 Hart Building
		Washington, D.C.  20510

		Chairman, House Telecommunications
		Subcommittee
		B-331 Rayburn Building
		Washington, D.C.  20515

		Dear Sir:

		Please allow me to express my displeasure
		with the FCC proposal which would authorize
		a surcharge for use of modems on the tele-
		phone network.

		This regulation is nothing more than an
		attempt to restrict the free exchange of
		ideas and information.

		end of letter

		              * * *

		I don't yet have any more informantion on
		this matter. If you have any info at all,
		please give me a call and post a message.
		It is imperative that we have complete
		information.

		Let's rally and make sure that the gov't
		never places undue and unfair restrictions
		on this grass-roots, user contolled, inter-
		active form of mass communication!

		                    Dave Ferreira
		                    The Jungle BBS
		                    117 Osceola Ave.
		                    Middlesex, NJ  08846
		                    (201) 805-9819

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

lemay@lorelei.Sun.COM (Laura Lemay) (01/04/90)

In article <Jan.3.19.59.57.1990.3325@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda (Ron Bannon) writes:

>  		F C C   Prosed Regulation of Modem Use
>  		======================================
>
>  		The following message was posted on the
>  		Prodigy Computer Club Bulletin Board.
>  		It comes from Sam Katon of Staten Is.,
>  		NY. Thanks Sam!
[more deleted]

After this was posted to the local sun network and it had been harshed
on a bit, this appeared a few minutes ago.  Questions comments flames
should be directed to the author of the enclosed message, not to me.
(his .sig is at the bottom, just before mine.)

Thanx, Laura.

Subject: Re: Modems
Date: 3 Jan 90 23:56:05 GMT

****************************

Hold the phone everyone (pun intended)

I just recieved the following mail...Looks like this is a hoax

Rand

****************************

>From hattrup_ja@juliet.enet.dec.com Wed Jan  3 15:42:22 1990
To: rand@sun.com

Well, save your envelopes, stamps, and forwarding activity.  The FCC
chairman and Congressional Committee chairman WILL NOT be levying
modem charges....don't really know how they could enforce it anyhow.

If you forwarded this, please try to help squash it.

Subj:	Modem story bogus - bad case of "gullibility virus" - sorry
Subj:	RE: Modem Charges... Forget it...

This is Fred's reply in Telecom Digest to the Bogus Fidonet FCC/Modem story.

Subject: Re: FCC & Modem charges
Date: 26 Dec 89 15:39:32 GMT

In article <2403@accuvax.nwu.edu>, levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org (Ken Levitt)
writes...

>This article is reposted from Fidonet and may be of interest to
>Telecom readers.
>   From: Jack Lohman
>   To: All
>   Subj: FCC PROBLEMS

>MOBILIZE!
>=========
>Now, they are at it again.  A new regulation that the FCC is quietly
>working on will directly affect you as the user of a computer and
>modem.  The FCC proposes that users of modems should pay extra charges
>for use of the public telephone network which carry their data.  In
>addition, computer network services such as CompuServ, Tymnet, &
>Telenet would also be charged as much as $6.00 per hour per user for
>use of the public telephone network. ...

Cripes.  This again.  It's becoming the new Chain Letter.

It popped up in comp.unix.wizards last month and I think I had it
squashed there, but alas, this moderated group has allowed it to
surface.

Here's the poop.  When the new FCC chair Alf Sykes was being
confirmed, he was grilled on this topic by Congressman Markey, who
chairs the House subcommittee that oversees the FCC.  Sykes was made
to swear on a stack of bibles, so to speak, that this "enhanced
service provider" (not modem, btw, though the two often overlap)
surcharge was dead.  Markey made clear that a congressional LAW
preventing it was being put on the back burner only out of courtesy to
Sykes.  If Sykes hadn't been so docile, the law would have been
passed; Congress doesn't like this crap any more than we do!  And
Markey does have power over Sykes to hit him where it hurts in case he
is lying: His subcommittee oversees the FCC's budget and appropriations.
In government, that's everything.

I do have a copy of the appropriate Congressional Record article (Nov. 6,
1989) quoting Markey on this, and Markey's press release on the subject.
So I'm not rumormongering.  Someone on Fidonet is.

Fred R. Goldstein   goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com
                 or goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com
                    voice:  +1 508 486 7388

I'm not strange.  You are.
Laura Lemay				lemay@eng.sun.com
Redhead.  Drummer.  Geek.

6600pete@hub.UUCP (01/04/90)

From article <Jan.3.19.59.57.1990.3325@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, by bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon):

> F C C   Prosed Regulation of Modem Use

> What should you do?

> send three copies of the following letter to the addresses
> provided here.

If these FCC goons actually USED modems, there's no way they would ever
consider such a silly regulation, for two reasons:

   1) It wouldn't be in their agency's own best interest.
   2) They would be DELUGED with e-mail!

As it stands now, they rely on USPS. Anybody with an e-mail address for these
jokers should post it immediately. Some enlightened soul with time on hir
hands should probably volunteer to print and mail everything that comes
in to hir e-mailbox.

And rest assured that I have grabbed the file and will post it everywhere I
log in. Everyone else should do the same.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/04/90)

Sigh.  Don't fly off the handle, folks.  It appears that this is a false
alarm.

To quite from comp.dcom.telecom article <2412@accuvax.nwu.edu> submitted
by Fred R. Goldstein:

------ begin quote ------