[comp.sys.mac] ZTerm 0.85 upload problems

rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) (01/09/90)

Greetings,

	I recently discovered the Zmodem code for unix, and eagerly
downloaded ZTerm 0.85 to try things out.  Downloads from my Unix host work
superbly (Goodbye, Kermit!), but I can't seem to get uploads from my Mac to
Unix to go right.  The Mac sends the rz command, I see it echoed on the
Unix host, and I get the status window.  But then I get a succession of
"Got ZRPOS = 0" errors, and I'm dead in the water.

	I think ZTerm is well worth the shareware fee just for the download
speed alone, but I really need to be able to transfer in both directions.
Can anybody clue me in to what I'm missing?

Thanx in advance,

Warren J. Madden
rabbit@eddie.mit.edu

alh@pyrnova (Alan Holzman) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan8.223718.654@eddie.mit.edu> rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) writes:

>downloaded ZTerm 0.85 to try things out.  Downloads from my Unix host work
>superbly (Goodbye, Kermit!), but I can't seem to get uploads from my Mac to
>Unix to go right.  The Mac sends the rz command, I see it echoed on the
>Unix host, and I get the status window.  But then I get a succession of
>"Got ZRPOS = 0" errors, and I'm dead in the water.

Warren ;
        I agree with you about Zterm 0.85 ... It is great with our UNIX systems
too. I am able to upload & download fine from home dialed-up @ 2400. On a
direct connect at the office at 9600 baud however I experience the same symtoms
on the zmodem upload to UNIX ? Have others seen this ? Maybe Dave Alverson,
the author of Zterm could comment ? I've been wondering if the issue is the
9600 baud speed or perhaps something else ...

Regards ;

- Al

Al Holzman                 |  Internet = alh@pyrnova.pyramid.com (always)
Pyramid Technology Corp.   |  UUCP = pyramid!pyrnova!alh
1295 Charleston Road       |  Compuserve = 76665,3406 (frequently)
Mt. View, CA. 94043        |  Connect = AlHolzman (occasionally)
(415) 335-8951             |  FAX (415) 967-4344

wscott@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Wayne H Scott) (01/10/90)

I also have had problems uploading with Zterm at 9600 baud.  As I understand
it the problem is that I only have a 7 bit connection so downloading works
but uploading has problems.

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET:   wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:     wscott%ea.ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:      {purdue, pur-ee}!en.ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) (01/10/90)

        Many thanks to those who wrote offering suggestions.  I had
forgotten that my Mac to Unix connection was via a DecServer 200.  In order
for the upload to work correctly, the port on the DecServer had to be set
for 8 bits, no parity, and XON/XOFF flow control.  Additionally, the
connection between the server and the Unix system had to be set to passall
mode, so that the binary chars would go through right.

	While the above settings did allow me to upload successfully, the
spead was nowhere near that of downloading.  Apparently, the server can
take data from the Mac not nearly as fast as it can dish it out, so the Mac
spends a lot of its time waiting for the server to digest what's in its
buffer.  At 9600, it took 71 seconds to send a 56K file (80% efficiency).
At 19.2Kb, it took slightly under a minute (42% efficiency).  Still, that
sure beats the heck out of Kermit.

Once again, thanx for the help,

Warren J. Madden
rabbit@eddie.mit.edu

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/11/90)

In article <1990Jan10.151156.21782@eddie.mit.edu> rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) writes:
>for the upload to work correctly, the port on the DecServer had to be set
>for 8 bits, no parity, and XON/XOFF flow control.  Additionally, the
>connection between the server and the Unix system had to be set to passall
>mode, so that the binary chars would go through right.

Yup, I spoke to the administrators who reinformed me of the proper settings
and a command I have to issue upon connection.

>	While the above settings did allow me to upload successfully, the
>spead was nowhere near that of downloading.  Apparently, the server can
>take data from the Mac not nearly as fast as it can dish it out, so the Mac
>spends a lot of its time waiting for the server to digest what's in its
>buffer.  At 9600, it took 71 seconds to send a 56K file (80% efficiency).
>At 19.2Kb, it took slightly under a minute (42% efficiency).  Still, that
>sure beats the heck out of Kermit.

I got a full 98% efficiency on uploading as well as downloading.  The bigger
the file, the more the efficiency builds.  Usually within 4 minutes.
--Willi
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: ZTerm 0.85 upload problems (SOLVED)
In article <1990Jan10.151156.21782@eddie.mit.edu> rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) writes:
>for the upload to work correctly, the port on the DecServer had to be set
>for 8 bits, no parity, and XON/XOFF flow control.  Additionally, the
>connection between the server and the Unix system had to be set to passall
>mode, so that the binary chars would go through right.

Yup, I spoke to the administrators who reinformed me of the proper settings
and a command I have to issue upon connection.

>	While the above settings did allow me to upload successfully, the
>spead was nowhere near that of downloading.  Apparently, the server can
>take data from the Mac not nearly as fast as it can dish it out, so the Mac
>spends a lot of its time waiting for the server to digest what's in its
>buffer.  At 9600, it took 71 seconds to send a 56K file (80% efficiency).
>At 19.2Kb, it took slightly under a minute (42% efficiency).  Still, that
>sure beats the heck out of Kermit.

I got a full 98% efficiency on uploading as well as downloading.  The bigger
the file, the more the efficiency builds.  Usually within 4 minutes.
--Willi
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Expires: