[comp.sys.mac] Some files missing from SFGetFile Dialogs. What's wrong?

korfhage@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (01/08/90)

Some text files do not appear in the standard open file dialog box, even when
they should. I first noticed it in Textures: some of my files didn't appear
in the scrolling list when I did an open. Using DiskTop, I checked the type,
creator, and various bits for the file, and they were identical to the files
that I could see. Double clicking on the file's icon opened it properly. I
called the folks who make Textures, and we determined that other programs, like
MS Word, couldn't see the files either, even though they had type TEXT. That
seemed to point to Boomerang as the culprit, so using init cdev I disabled all
the inits except the e-machines init and multidisk, and restarted. Still no
luck.

The problem is not that all text files don't appear, just some of them.
Exactly which ones don't appear seems to be random, not depending upon
size or date, but it's always the same files that don't appear. Saving the
file from Textures by just doing a "save" doesn't make the file appear, but
if I do a "save as" and give the file a new name, I can see the new file.
I can work around the problem by saving the invisible files under new names
and throwing away the old files, but I would like to know what the
underlying problem it. Incidentally, duplicating the file in the finder
throwing away the original file and replacing it with the duplicate works, too.

I am running a Mac IIci, system 6.0.4, and the only inits running were
init cdev, the e-machines init, and multidisk.

 Willard Korfhage   ARPA : korfhage@pucatt.poly.edu, korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
		    UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage
"Castro Kicks Vanna Habit: Tough-talking tyrant vows he'll never watch
'Wheel of Fortune' again!" - Weekly World News

wiechman@aramis.rutgers.edu (NightMeower) (01/10/90)

I have seen a similar problem where files show up in the file list
when they were not to be there.  A little trick is that works at least
in one case is to move out of the current folder and come back to the
folder.  In this case the file will disappear.

Kevin
Kevin S. Wiechmann			arpa:  wiechman@rutgers.rutgers.edu

	 This is only a test... for the next sixty seconds...

KSBOLDUAN@amherst.bitnet (The Blue Adept) (01/11/90)

William Korfhage wrote about not having certain files show up in his SF
GetDialog Box. Here's my response, which, BTW, bounced back to me and could not
be delivered:

I saw your message on comp.sys.mac, and had a similar problem, though I
NEVER used Textures. I never really found out what the culprit was, but
the problem was fixed when I replaced the System file. It has somehow
gotten corrupted. In fact, I too was running boomerang, but that's the
only similarities between our problems (and Mac setups, actually).

I would try trashing the System file (or at least boot from a floppy)
and see if the problem goes away.

Or, if that doesn't work, copy the files that don't appear onto a floppy and
try reading them on a different machine. That way, you can isolate the
problem. BTW, if you try booting from a floppy, make sure to run an application
off that floppy as well, because otherwise-if you try to run an application
from the hard drive, the HD's system will become active and you won't be able
to tell anything.

Sorry I couldn't find the problem, but hopefully I've suggested a cure.

Good luck,

Kevin Bolduan '91 Amherst College
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST Bitnet Address

vallon@sboslab2.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (01/12/90)

In article <30533@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, korfhage@lanai.cs.ucla.edu writes:
> [Disappearing TEXT files.  They don't appear in SFGetFile dialogs, but are]
> [double-clickable in the Finder.]

You used DiskTop to compare the two files to each other, but does DiskTop
display the file version?  There a little bug/problem in Inside Macintosh,
namely that HCreate does take a version number, but it isn't listed in
the required parameters in the parameter block.

So, the problem you may be experiencing may be that the creator application
is not setting the file version to zero.  SFGetFile filters out all files
with non-zero versions, but the Finder displays them.

Get a program/DA that displays version numbers (try Fedit+ or MacTools), and
you may have found the problem.  Then again, maybe not.

BTW:  Version numbers were supposed to disappear in HFS.

>  Willard Korfhage   ARPA : korfhage@pucatt.poly.edu, korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
> 		   UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage
> "Castro Kicks Vanna Habit: Tough-talking tyrant vows he'll never watch
> 'Wheel of Fortune' again!" - Weekly World News

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu