[comp.sys.mac] Screen Dumps... DECstation 3100 -> Mac

kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) (01/12/90)

I'm trying to take a screen dump from a DECstation 3100 and get it onto
a Macintosh.  There are 3 formats in which I can dump the screen on the
3100: Postscript, DDIF, and Sixel.  I've successfully taken a Postscript
dump from the 3100 and imported it into several applications on the Mac
and printed it.  The problem is that I want to be able to see/manipulate
the picture on the Mac.  Is there any application that would let me do this?
Is there anyway I could convert the postscript to a bitmap (ie. PICT or such)
that I could manipulate with MacPaint?  Any help/suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks
/Matt
--
Matt Kingman - Systems Engineer		kingman@tci.bell-atl.com
Technology Concepts Inc.		...!uunet!tci!kingman

johan@dutnak2.UUCP (01/12/90)

In article <549@tci.bell-atl.com> kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) writes:
>I'm trying to take a screen dump from a DECstation 3100 and get it onto
>a Macintosh.  There are 3 formats in which I can dump the screen on the
>3100: Postscript, DDIF, and Sixel.  I've successfully taken a Postscript
>dump from the 3100 and imported it into several applications on the Mac
>and printed it.  The problem is that I want to be able to see/manipulate
>the picture on the Mac.  Is there any application that would let me do this?
>Is there anyway I could convert the postscript to a bitmap (ie. PICT or such)
>that I could manipulate with MacPaint?  Any help/suggestions would be
>appreciated.

With the SmartArt DA from Emerald city one can convert PostScript files
that are generated outside the Macintosh environment to EPS files with
preview, PICT files or TIFF files. The  January '90 MacUser issue has a
review. We know this works for "normal" PostScript (Fonts, LineArt
etc.). It might not work for the "bitmap" PostScript that is probably
generated by your workstation.

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands