[comp.sys.mac] Rearwindow

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/16/89)

Greetings,

  Awhile back, a MultiFinder version of the RearWindow init was posted to
comp.binaries.mac.  In a fit of stupidity, I didn't save it, and it's vanished
into the void now.  Does anybody have a copy of this init?

Thanks,

--Mike

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/16/89)

Hello,

  I posted an article earlier asking for the MultiFinder version of RearWindow,
and I've received it by email.  Thank you to those people who replied.  My
question is now solved!

--Mike

RWERMAN@vms.Huji.AC.IL (12/28/89)

Subject: Rear Window

Greetings,

  Awhile back, a MultiFinder version of the RearWindow init was posted to
comp.binaries.mac.  In a fit of stupidity, I didn't save it, and it's vanished
into the void now.  Does anybody have a copy of this init?

Thanks,

--Mike
**************
available from sumex
or for bitnet people from listserv@rice
as
$macarch get init/multifinder-rearwindow.hqx
and is only 2K long in binhex.

__Bob Werman
rwerman@hujivms
Jerusalem

dr_insane@uwav1.u.washington.edu (12/30/89)

Can anyone plase tell me what does rearwindow do?
I download it and I don't find anything useful.  It looks just the same.

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (01/12/90)

In article <13005@uwav1.u.washington.edu>, dr_insane@uwav1.u.washington.edu writes:
> Can anyone plase tell me what does rearwindow do?
> I download it and I don't find anything useful.  It looks just the same.

RearWIndow lets you move things from an overlapped window to another
window, by pressing command-Tab (clover-tab) before you start your
selection.

Here is a poor ascii representation of the top-left of a Mac Screen:

.------------------------------------
|------------------------------------
|                   .----------------
|                   |=== window 2 ===
|                   |----------------
|  .----------------|    .=._____.
|  |=== window 1 ===|    |       |
|  |----------------|    |       |
|  |   .----.       |    `-------'
|  |   | /\ |       |    folder a
|  |   | ## |       |
|  |   `----'       |
|  |   Document b   |

Let's say you want to drag Document b from window 1 into folder a
in window 2.  Normally, when you would select Document b, window 1
becomes active (ie, goes on top) and would obscure folder a in
window 2.  A frustrating revelation.  BUT, if you have the rear-window
init running  (there is a special version for multi-finder, by the way)
you can press and hold clover and tab before you select document b,
window 1 will NOT become active, but the selection will take effect.
So you can just drag Docment b into folder a.

Voila!  (that's wallah to all you non-french speaking people!)

Stuart

P.S.  Does anyone have a version of RearWindow for multifinder that
      *displays an icon* at startup?  The original did, but....

--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on