[comp.sys.mac] Need Zmodem help!

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (01/12/90)

We are using Zterm, sz, and rz to transfer files back and forth between UNIX and
a Mac.  Unfortunately, we only get the "forth" part of that.  Transfers from
UNIX to the Mac work fine, but test transfers from the Mac to UNIX always hang
after successfully sending the first text file, and binary transfers from the Mac
to Unix never get past the first block or two--they go into an endless sequence
of retries.  It seems to me that the UNIX end isn't treating binary data
correctly, but I am at a loss to know why.  We've tried compiling rz for both
Sun 3's and Sun 4's, and get the same problem on each.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken McDonald
mcdonald@lccr.cs.sfu.ca

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/13/90)

In article <218@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:
>We are using Zterm, sz, and rz to transfer files back and forth between UNIX and
>a Mac.  Unfortunately, we only get the "forth" part of that.  Transfers from
>UNIX to the Mac work fine, but test transfers from the Mac to UNIX always hang
>after successfully sending the first text file, and binary transfers from the Mac
>to Unix never get past the first block or two--they go into an endless sequence
>of retries.  It seems to me that the UNIX end isn't treating binary data
>correctly, but I am at a loss to know why.  We've tried compiling rz for both
>Sun 3's and Sun 4's, and get the same problem on each.  Any suggestions?

I was having the same problems.  You have to check with the administrator
(not the docs) of the Unix system to make sure what the correct settings are:
data bits, stop bits, parity, handshake, etc.  Also, I was informed that
before I connect to my Unix, there is a command "terminal download" that
must be entered onto the server before logging on so that the server
will not interfere.  As for uploading binary data, type rz -b to assure
the upload will be binary.  Everything works great for me now!
Hope this helps.
--Willi