[comp.sys.mac] Bad power supply: can it be fixed?

carter@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) (01/10/90)

The power supply on my SE died and I replaced it myself.  Consequently,
I still have the old one.  Does anyone know what the cause of power
supply death usually is and how it might be fixed?  If it's usually
just a simple capacitor replacement or something like that then I'd
like to do that and then sell it as a functional power supply.

If nobody has any ideas of how to fix the old one, what can I do with
it?  Can I sell it to someone who can fix it or use it for something
else?  Thanks.

Tom Carter
carter@neon.stanford.edu

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (01/11/90)

In article <1990Jan9.214357.29911@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
carter@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
> it?  Can I sell it to someone who can fix it or use it for something
> else?

     .. As it turns out Apple is the one that repairs them .. Usually
(when something goes wrong with a Mac) the dealer will send in the bad
part for a replacement part .. Apple then sends a reworked part back to
the dealer and then you have a "new" part .. Now you can also just go and
purchase the part from the dealer (or whomever) at a slightly higher price
.. As far as I know Apple is the only one that fiddles with these parts ..
Then again I could be wrong ..

     .. Marcelo ..

RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu (Robert Bauer) (01/11/90)

In article <12844@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes:
> In article <1990Jan9.214357.29911@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
> carter@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>> it?  Can I sell it to someone who can fix it or use it for something
>> else?
>
>      .. As it turns out Apple is the one that repairs them .. Usually
> (when something goes wrong with a Mac) the dealer will send in the bad
> part for a replacement part .. Apple then sends a reworked part back to
> the dealer and then you have a "new" part .. Now you can also just go and
> purchase the part from the dealer (or whomever) at a slightly higher price
> ... As far as I know Apple is the only one that fiddles with these parts ..
> Then again I could be wrong ..
>
>      .. Marcelo ..

Soft Solutions in Eugene, Oregon repairs motherboards and power supplies
for everything from a 128K to Mac II (but none of the 68030 Macs) in
addition to repair parts.  They're at 503-461-1136.

Disclaimer: I work for the University of Oregon but do some technical
consulting for Soft Solutions.

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan9.214357.29911@Neon.Stanford.EDU> carter@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>The power supply on my SE died and I replaced it myself.  Consequently,
>I still have the old one.  Does anyone know what the cause of power
>supply death usually is and how it might be fixed?

I just got a packet of information for a place called Soft Solutions,
which calls itself "THE Alternative Source for Macintosh Service and Parts".
They are located at 907 River Road, Suite #98, Eugene OR  97404,
(503) 485-4529.

They offer a number of "kits" and supplies for do-it-yourself repairs,
for example the "Plus/512K/128K Upgrade/Repair Kit" inlcudes a new flyback
transformer, capacitors, rectifiers, plugs, etc for $51.  A similar
"SE Analog Board Repair Kit" which they claim "Provides parts to repair
95% of failed boards..." sells for $41.  They also sell the individual
components as well as cases, complete analog boards and will do repairs.
BTW, they included a schematic of the SE analog board with all this info
at no cost "...provided for educational purposes only...." (with LOTS of
disclaimers :-).  They sell similar schematics for the plus, etc.

ANYWAY, I have absolutely no personal experience with these guys, so
DON'T TAKE THIS AS A RECOMMENDATION!!!  I just thought it was interesting,
and that other people might make use of the information.  For more details,
contact Soft Solutions at the address/phone above (don't ask me, 'cause
I don''t know anything more than I've already written :-)

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu (Robert Bauer) (01/13/90)

In article <1990Jan11.162536.4502@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> In article <1990Jan9.214357.29911@Neon.Stanford.EDU> carter@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>>The power supply on my SE died and I replaced it myself.  Consequently,
>>I still have the old one.  Does anyone know what the cause of power
>>supply death usually is and how it might be fixed?
>>

> I just got a packet of information for a place called Soft Solutions,
> which calls itself "THE Alternative Source for Macintosh Service and Parts".
> They are located at 907 River Road, Suite #98, Eugene OR  97404,
> (503) 485-4529.
>
> They offer a number of "kits" and supplies for do-it-yourself repairs,
> for example the "Plus/512K/128K Upgrade/Repair Kit" inlcudes a new flyback
> transformer, capacitors, rectifiers, plugs, etc for $51.  A similar
> "SE Analog Board Repair Kit" which they claim "Provides parts to repair
> 95% of failed boards..." sells for $41.  They also sell the individual
> components as well as cases, complete analog boards and will do repairs.
> BTW, they included a schematic of the SE analog board with all this info
> at no cost "...provided for educational purposes only...." (with LOTS of
> disclaimers :-).  They sell similar schematics for the plus, etc.
>
> ANYWAY, I have absolutely no personal experience with these guys, so
> DON'T TAKE THIS AS A RECOMMENDATION!!!  I just thought it was interesting,
> and that other people might make use of the information.  For more details,
> contact Soft Solutions at the address/phone above (don't ask me, 'cause
> I don''t know anything more than I've already written :-)

> Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
> Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
>         (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
> ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

That's their FAX #.  Their voice line is 503 461 1136