[comp.sys.mac] Moire 3 and Word 4

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (01/11/90)

I recently got Moire 3 and have been trying it out.  I like it really
well, and am ready to send in the shareware fee, but before I do, I was
wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem similar to what I'm
having.

Moire seems to work perfectly with the applications I've tried it with.
(Well, it interferes with downloading in MicroPhone, but that's no
problem because I can just use the "wake rect")

My problem occurs in Word 4.0.  Moire often blanks the screen, but
nothing further happens (i.e. no "dancing moire patterns", just a dark
screen).  If I move the mouse to the "sleep rect", Moire kicks in like
it should.  And occaisonally Moire works properly when I'm simply
inactive.

I haven't done controlled tests to determine when exactly the problem
occurs, but it seems that it happens when I stop in the middle of
typing.  If the last thing I did was, for example, a spell check, then
Moire works properly.

Is this a problem with Word, or with Moire, or something else?  I've
noticed that Word also interferes with SuperLaserSpool while I'm typing
(actually, it stops the printing altogether and I have to click
someplace else to get it started again, and avoid a dialog box stating
that "The printer is not responding...").  Have others noticed this
problem, or is it just me?

Thanks

--
Geoff Allen                  \  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) (01/12/90)

Geoff Allen wrote:

> Is this a problem with Word, or with Moire, or something else?  I've
> noticed that Word also interferes with SuperLaserSpool while I'm typing
> (actually, it stops the printing altogether and I have to click
> someplace else to get it started again, and avoid a dialog box stating
> that "The printer is not responding...").  Have others noticed this
> problem, or is it just me?

Are you sure you are using the latest version of SuperLaserSpool (SLS)?

We use 5 Macs in our office for word processing, networked via TOPS, printing
to ImageWriter IIs.  A couple of years ago, when the system was installed, we
bought Word 3.0x and SuperLaserSpool, expecting to be able to spool to the
ImageWriters.  (This was based on advertising claims for SLS and magazine
reviews, all of which were extremely positive.)

The attempts at spooling were a disastor.

Word and SLS simply did not get along.  As noted in the quoted message,
printing would stop completely when one was typing in Word.  In fact, at times
printing would stop even when text input was not actively taking place.

After a few calls to the SLS support people, they finally claimed that Word
was such a CPU hog that the spooling of SLS could not occur, as SLS was not
getting any CPU cycles.

Great.  We ended up having to spool print while the secretaries were on break.

The problem no longer exists with the latest version of SLS.  We are still
using Word 3.0x.  Funny about that, as the SLS folk were blaming Word for the
problem...

Please don't take this wrong.  I am merely reporting my experiences.  We were
more than a little unhappy with that earlier version of SLS.  We are satisfied
now.  I just wish they had been straight with their advertising and in their
technical support.  It would have saved a lot of headaches.

Jim

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

850181f@aucs.uucp (S. Ferguson-Parker) (01/12/90)

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:

>I recently got Moire 3 and have been trying it out.  I like it really
>well, and am ready to send in the shareware fee, but before I do, I was
>wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem similar to what I'm
>having.

>My problem occurs in Word 4.0.  Moire often blanks the screen, but
>nothing further happens (i.e. no "dancing moire patterns", just a dark
>screen).  If I move the mouse to the "sleep rect", Moire kicks in like
>it should.  And occaisonally Moire works properly when I'm simply
>inactive.

>Have others noticed this problem, or is it just me?
>Thanks
>Geoff Allen                  \  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
>{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.
>ucdavis!egg-id!pmafire!geoff   \

  I have experienced this same problem and like you have no answers (yet).

Steven E. Ferguson-Parker Acadia Univ. School of Computer Science
Wolfville N.S. Canada BOP1XO
UUCP:      {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!850181f
BITNET:    850181f@AcadiaU.CA
Post: P.O. Box 846 Wolfville N.S. Canada B0P 1X0

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (01/13/90)

In article <1051@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:

>My problem occurs in Word 4.0.  Moire often blanks the screen, but
>nothing further happens (i.e. no "dancing moire patterns", just a dark
>screen).  If I move the mouse to the "sleep rect", Moire kicks in like
>it should.  And occaisonally Moire works properly when I'm simply
>inactive.

Well, this is the way I understand this "feature."  If the Mac is currently
involved in some sort of processing (busy), Moire will simply blank the screen
and will activate the pattern when the Mac is no longer busy.

Word has a bad habit (especially when typing) of doing alot of background junk,
like journaling keystrokes one key at a time and so forth.  I've even had it
disable background tasks (causing my clock to halt until I manually restart it).
This isn't so troublesome as to make me discontinue its use, but it can be
annoying at times.

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.ac.syr.edu

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/13/90)

Jim,

I understand that you are now satisfied with our SuperLaserSpool product;
however, allow me to explain a few things...

#1  Please understand that we do NOT have true multi-tasking with the
    current Mac OS.  Thus, two processes cannot occurs simultaneously.

#2  Word 3.0 was a CPU hog, but versions 3.01 and 3.02 seems to solve part
    of the problem...which was when typing Word wasn't being too nice to ANY
    background process.

#3  Under MultiFinder any and all background processes are TOTALLY
    dependent upon MultiFinder to determine how much time they can get as a
    background process.  Under the Finder, SLS 2.0x make its own determination
    and in most cases, SLS and SuperSpool will be a little faster under the
    Finder versus MultiFinder.

#4  Also...increasing the spoolers Print Buffer size (via the Laser Queue or
    Print Queue DA) will improve the performance of the spooler.

#5  Finally with respects to our advertising, SuperLaserSpool is compatible
    with the following printers: Apple's LaserWriter, LaserWriter Plus,
    LaserWriter II SC/NT/NTX, AppleTalk ImageWriter II/LQ, and direct
    connect ImageWriter I/II/LQ; PostScript compatible laser printers that
    use Apple's LaserWriter driver; and any HP printer that is supported by
    Insight Development's MacPrint driver software.

I hope that this clarifies things.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com