[comp.sys.mac] Mac to UN*X and back

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (01/13/90)

I work with IBM PC AT compatible machines and HP 9000/300 workstations
here at HP Cupertino, but I have a Macintosh Plus at home.  For some
time, I have been searching for ways to simplify the task of transferring
work on disk between my home and work environments.

I have solved the physical problems of disk transfer.  Both the AT-type
machines and the workstations can read, write, and format 720K MS-DOS
3.5" disks, and I have installed a Kennect Technologies Rapport unit
on the Mac Plus, which enables its external drive to read, write and
format the same disks in the same way.  I can transfer files (somewhat
clumsily) via Apple File Exchange, and later this month I will try to
automate the whole business by adding Dayna's DOS Mounter utility,
which apparently works with the Rapport device.

I am still stuck on the software side, though.  I do most of my editing
on vanilla ASCII files at work, and I prefer using GNU Emacs rather
than vi on the workstations.  At home, the only editor I have is
MacWrite II.  It's a bit clumsy for my work.  I'd prefer a Mac editor
that can:

      * work with large files (up to 500K-600K)
      * allow regular-expression search/replace capability
      * understand Unix file conventions (Control-J is the line-end
	character, for example)
      * display all characters (including control characters) in
	some literal form

It doesn't have to be fancy in terms of things like displaying zillions
of fonts -- 9-point Monaco would be fine.  I wonder if the editor that
comes with the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop would be a good choice.

Any ideas?

Jim McCauley
Hewlett-Packard Company, Cupertino CA

Disclaimer: Absolutely no one in any position of authority at Hewlett-Packard
	    knows, credits, supports, or understands anything I say here
	    (or in most other venues).

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (01/13/90)

In article <16880003@hpisod2.HP.COM>, jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:
> I'd prefer a Mac editor that can:
>       * work with large files (up to 500K-600K)
>       * allow regular-expression search/replace capability
>       * understand Unix file conventions (Control-J is the line-end
> 	character, for example)
>       * display all characters (including control characters) in
> 	some literal form

The MPW Shell editor will do all of these except treating ^J as
an end-of-line character.  Your could build a couple little filters
to translate between formats, but it won't do it automatically.
Also, the regular expression syntax is different from UNIX.  It's
basically equivalent in power to, say, the GNU Emacs regular expression
syntax, but all the special characters are different.  This can take
a little while to get used to...

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation