[comp.sys.mac] MacOS programs under A/UX

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (01/12/90)

I have heard that well-behaved (32-bit clean) MacOS applications will run
unmodified under A/UX.  My question is, do they appear as UNIX processes?
Do they participate in the pre-emptive multitasking of UNIX?  Are they
prevented from clobbering other tasks?

I ask for two reasons: 1) I'd like to be able to run Word, PageMaker, FreeHand,
etc., if I ever get A/UX; and 2) if MacOS programs run nicely under A/UX, then
it would seem that pre-emptive MultiFinder wouldn't be as hard as some have
said.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) (01/13/90)

In article <21776@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I have heard that well-behaved (32-bit clean) MacOS applications will run
>unmodified under A/UX.  My question is, do they appear as UNIX processes?
>Do they participate in the pre-emptive multitasking of UNIX?  Are they
>prevented from clobbering other tasks?
  32-bit clean programs should run as long as they don't do any nasty
low-level device accesses.  Alas, the serial ports and the sound chip count
as low-level devices -- neither your terminal program nor SoundEdit will
work under A/UX.  As for how MacOS programs appear as Unix processes,
they appear as instances of the "launch" program.  The launch program is an
A/UX program which reads in the MacOS program you specify and executes it.
(There are tricks with symlinks you can use to make it look like the MacOS
program is directly executable, so you can type, e.g. "stuffit" or "mandelzot"
at the prompt instead of "launch stuffit" or "launch mandelzot").  They
participate in the preemptive multitasking under Unix.  As far as I know,
there's no way for them to clobber other tasks.

>I ask for two reasons: 1) I'd like to be able to run Word, PageMaker, FreeHand,
>etc., if I ever get A/UX; and 2) if MacOS programs run nicely under A/UX, then
>it would seem that pre-emptive MultiFinder wouldn't be as hard as some have
>said.
  Firstly, from what I've heard most commercial software is not yet 32-bit
clean.  If you're worried about being able to run a particular piece of
software, you might be well advised to check out its A/UX compatibility with
the company, or try the program on someone's A/UX-equipped Mac and see for
yourself.  Most of the freeware and shareware I've tried, on the other hand,
runs under A/UX with little trouble.
  As for your second point, the current version of A/UX only allows one
MacOS program to be running at a time.  It participates in pre-emptive
multitasking with the other Unix processes on the system (so that, e.g.
uucp downloads can continue in background without interference), but you
can't run a second MacOS program simultaneously.  Thus the question of
how hard it is to preemptively multitask multiple MacOS programs is still
an open question.
--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu