[comp.sys.mac] TIFF to PICT

skyer@quantime.co.uk (Susannah Skyer) (01/12/90)

Is there a utility (PD or shareware is preferable) that will convert TIFF
graphics to PICT so they can be edited in MacDraw?

Alternatively, is there a draw package that will edit TIFF files?

Thanks,
Susannah Skyer
skyer@qtlon.UUCP

news@haddock.ima.isc.com (overhead) (01/13/90)

In article <139@qtlon.quantime.co.uk> skyer@qtlon.UUCP (Susannah Skyer) writes:
>Is there a utility (PD or shareware is preferable) that will convert TIFF
>graphics to PICT so they can be edited in MacDraw?
>
>Alternatively, is there a draw package that will edit TIFF files?

Canvas 2.0 can read TIFF.  I use it all the time.  Digital Darkroom
can export its halftoned images in a 1-bit TIFF format, which I can
read with Canvas.  Canvas does not write TIFF (odd).  Once in Canvas,
there's no need to use MacDraw, that I'm aware of.

Public? There might be some low cost shareware.  I recall seeing
Giffer and Vision Lab having many options on import and export.  I'd
be suprized if TIFF wasn't one of them.  TIFF specs are reasonably
easy to obtain, I think.

Stephen.

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (01/13/90)

From article <15644@haddock.ima.isc.com>, by news@haddock.ima.isc.com (overhead):

> Canvas 2.0 can read TIFF.  I use it all the time.  Digital Darkroom
> can export its halftoned images in a 1-bit TIFF format, which I can
> read with Canvas.  Canvas does not write TIFF (odd).  Once in Canvas,
> there's no need to use MacDraw, that I'm aware of.

I have used Superpaint 2 and PageMaker 3.0 to read TIFF graphics.

Just use the 'place' command which gives you a dialog box to select the
TIFF file.

After placing it I believe Superpaint has several save format options.

PageMaker will also read TIFF and placing is very easy.  I like
PageMaker since it prints on the Laserwriter at 300 dpi versus the 72
dpi of SPaint.  I'm not sure if PM3 will save in different file formats.

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

dnagent@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mark D Phillips) (01/14/90)

In article <15644@haddock.ima.isc.com> suitti@anchovy.UUCP (Stephen Uitti) writes:
>Canvas 2.0 can read TIFF.  I use it all the time.  Digital Darkroom
>can export its halftoned images in a 1-bit TIFF format, which I can
>read with Canvas.  Canvas does not write TIFF (odd).  Once in Canvas,
>there's no need to use MacDraw, that I'm aware of.

[stuff deleted]
>Stephen.

Canvas 2.0 *does* write TIFF.  You select a bitmap object and then do a
Save As... and there you are.  Canvas 2.1 is the same way, and I recommend
that you upgrade, as 2.1 has some nice additional features (such as a new
Alignment command that is more like MacDraw II's nice Alignment command,
spell checking of text objects, and more).

Just trying to keep things accurate here...