[comp.sys.mac] JCRemote problem

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (01/12/90)

I found this in the info-mac digest.

# Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 15:22 EST
# From: FRIEDMAN@anchor.rutgers.edu
# Subject: Trojan Horse???? A new one
#
# I recently saw a posting about two new sharewares, JCremote and Mac II
# Diagnostic Sound.  After unBinHexing and Unstuffing them, I did what
# most of would, I checked for viruses using SAM Virus Clinic 1.3.  No
# known viruses were detected.  I tried the Mac II Diagnostic Sound and
# then installed JCremote.  As I installed JCremote into my system
# folder SAM 1.3 warned me about attempts to modify the system file,
# however, this is not uncommon with a CDEV or RDEV.  After installing
# it, I opened the chooser and selected JCremote.  The system froze.
# When I rebooted the computer the computer started to launch, but the
# crashed.  There was no bomb or any message, just a blank screen.
# After rebooting with a floppy and checking with Disinfectant 1.5, the
# system file was noted as having a damaged resource fork.  This meant I
# had to install a new one.
#
# I am not sure which of the two mentioned files are the culprit.  The
# first time it happened I heard a sound which sounded like one of the
# Mac II Diagnostic Sound sounds and the freeze occurred when I tried
# running JCremote.
#
# Rich

I had the same problem.  However, I only downloaded JCRemote (from
sumex).  I didn't check for viruses.  Rebooting after putting JCRemote
in the system folder caused the smiley Mac to appear for about 1/2
second, after which the screen went gray for awhile.  The floppy with
the flashing question mark then appeared.  Hitting the break button
made a strange sound - 4 ascending tones.  When I rebooted off a
floppy, the system file on the hard disk was damaged and had to be
replaced.  The damage report was from Font/DA Mover - it couldn't open
the system file.  The system is a Mac IIx running 6.0.2.  JCRemote
seemed a little suspicious to begin with as it came without
doccumentation.  Has anyone been able to get JCRemote to work or is it
just a sytem destroyer?

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se. (Martin Carlberg) (01/14/90)

>Has anyone been able to get JCRemote to work or is it
>just a sytem destroyer?

I was the one who posted JCRemote to the net. I'm using it almost every day
between some Mac II's (IIci & II's with sytem 6.0.4) and I have never crashed
it on these machines. BUT many people has problem with it, mostly on Pluses
and SE's, but also on II's. I have been able to crash it on Plus and SE,
but never had to reinstall a new system. I think JCRemote should be removed
from info-mac, it's not stable. I don't know how to do it. Any hints?

- Martin Carlberg
- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden