[comp.sys.mac] fair MAC+ price - summary

GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) (01/05/90)

This is a short summary of the e-mail responses i
received regarding my inquiry on used MAC+ prices.
i was offered a used 1meg MAC+ with mouse & keyboard
for $600.00 US. and i asked if that was a good price.

95% of the responses i received said that this was a
good price for a MAC+.  The cheapest new price seems
to be through the educational consortium at  900-1000
dollars.  However, it also seems that a used MAC+   from
an Apple dealer would be in the 1000 dollar range.

Anyway, i bought it.  It seems that while i was
making inquiries on the net, the seller assumed i
was getting cold feet for the deal and dropped the
price to $450.00. :-)

Thanks you;  Aron Roberts, Scott Paisley, Scott Sutherland,
Jan Genemans, Dorian Garson, Sam Cramer, Brad Miller, Dave Barnhart,
Jeffrey Kuskin, Ingemar Ragnemalm, Behzad Alavi, Mike Bergman,
and Drew; for taking the time to mail me your thoughts
about my question.

Michael Goldstein  goldstn@maine.bitnet goldstn@maine.maine.edu
University of Maine at Presque Isle

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/08/90)

In article <GOLDSTN.90005060016@MAINE.BITNET> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:

[discussion of fair price for a used Mac Plus deleted]

>The cheapest new price seems
>to be through the educational consortium at  900-1000
>dollars.  However, it also seems that a used MAC+   from
>an Apple dealer would be in the 1000 dollar range.

In a December 23 ad, the "Computer Factory" in Syracuse advertised new
Mac Plusses for $1049.  This included an Apple rebate which expired
December 31, however and also had some fine print about purchasing
a complete system with "certain Apple peripherals"....

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan8.044229.24644@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes...

>In article <GOLDSTN.90005060016@MAINE.BITNET> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:
>
>[discussion of fair price for a used Mac Plus deleted]
>
>In a December 23 ad, the "Computer Factory" in Syracuse advertised new
>Mac Plusses for $1049.  This included an Apple rebate which expired
>December 31, however and also had some fine print about purchasing
>a complete system with "certain Apple peripherals"....

Check the New York Times on Tuesdays.  I think I've seen new prices from NY
dealers for $1100-1200.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

Ed.Edell@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (01/10/90)

> In a December 23 ad, the "Computer Factory" in Syracuse advertised
> new Mac Plusses for $1049. This included an Apple rebate which
> expired December 31, however and also had some fine print about
> purchasing a complete system with "certain Apple peripherals"....

yeah, usually they want you to purchase an Imagewriter II to get the good
price...                -Ed

--
Ed Edell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563!Ed.Edell

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (01/11/90)

In article <7057@tank.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <1990Jan8.044229.24644@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes...
>
> Check the New York Times on Tuesdays.  I think I've seen new prices from NY
> dealers for $1100-1200.
>
> Robert

Another way to get a good price is to go for a used (read proved)
Macintosh.  There are a number of firms in the back of MacWEEK
which advertise buying and *selling* of used Mac's.  They often
offer a warantee.

One good outfit is Sun Remarketing - they are the ones that have
been keeping the Lisa (oops, cough) I mean the Mac XL running and
up to date.  They offer a 90-day warantee on all products they
sell.  Just as good as Apple's! Last year (spring '88) they offered
a Mac Plus for $1049.  Could be a lot lower by now...

Their number: 1-800-821-3221 extension 367.

Stuart

--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/14/90)

In article <12741@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) writes:

>One good outfit is Sun Remarketing - they are the ones that have
>been keeping the Lisa (oops, cough) I mean the Mac XL running and
>up to date.  They offer a 90-day warantee on all products they
>sell.  Just as good as Apple's! Last year (spring '88) they offered
>a Mac Plus for $1049.  Could be a lot lower by now...

I have heard generally good things about Sun, but their prices seem a
bit high.  The educational price for a new Mac Plus here is $999, and
you should be able to get one at a "street" price for $1200.  I've seen
used Mac Plusses here on USENET for $600.

BTW, I got a real chuckle from an (unsolicited) copy of the COMB catalog
that showed up in the mail the other day and says (page 21):

	"Our buyers thought that Apple's Lisa 2 Computers had all but
	disappeared.  Then we received word of a refurbisher who had
	an extensive inventory and wanted to move them out.  When
	Lisa 2 hit the market, it carried a price tag in excess of $10,000.
	Now you can own this upgraded Lisa 2/Mac XL hybrid for just $999.
	It's better than the original...yet lower in price!"

Now I wonder *who* that "refurbisher" is that "wants to move" their
Mac XL's....