[comp.sys.mac] UUPC for the Mac

dgj@ritcv.UUCP (Daryl G Johnson) (01/21/88)

I've recently dredged up my copy of UUPC and attempted to get it to compile
under LSC with no success.  I don't have access to Aztec C and do not expect
to.  Has any one had any success with porting UUPC to LSC or even to MPW C?
I'm very interested in getting a copy of the fixes or any hint.  Comments
on how reliable it is are appreciated as well.

	Thanks in advance.
		Daryl

Daryl G Johnson                               UUCP:  ritcv!dgj
Computer Systems & Facilities Administrator   CSNET: dgj@rit
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, NY    14623

sdussin@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Steve Dussinger) (01/11/90)

Does anyone know if there is a _REAL_ version of UUPC available for
the Mac??  I've tried the one that's on SUMEX, but it's trash...I can
get it to connect to my Unix host, but it doesn't do anything once
it's there.  It doesn't deliver my mail to the host, or get it from
the host. In fact, I can't get Pcmail to even create the mail to
transfer properly, I have to do it by hand.

If anyone has any information about a _FUNCTIONAL_ uupc for the Mac,
I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.  Until then, I guess
I'm stuck.....

				Thanx,
				  Steve Dussinger

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (01/12/90)

In article <3596@dev.dtic.dla.mil>, sdussin@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Steve Dussinger) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a _REAL_ version of UUPC available for
> the Mac??  I've tried the one that's on SUMEX, but it's trash...I can
>
> If anyone has any information about a _FUNCTIONAL_ uupc for the Mac,
> I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.  Until then, I guess
> I'm stuck.....
> 				  Steve Dussinger

Please post responses or summaries, as several of us have been looking for
this as well.  I believe there is a package available from a company near here,
out by the coast.  I saw it listed in Mac Buyer's Guide a couple issues ago.
You might try looking that one up.

Regards,

--
	Marvin Jones 		 uucp:    {pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		 bell-net: 707-795-9444 X 206

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (01/13/90)

  There is a version of UUCP for the Macintosh publically available.
It's been submitted to comp.mac.binaries but it's stuck in the queue
behind 11 files full of crippleware. (Sorry, personal gripe, there.)
I'll make it available via anonymous ftp from hscfsas1.harvard.edu
(128.103.75.50) by Monday morning.

  It works, and works well. eai.uucp (I'm also eai!corwin@talcott.harvard.edu)
is a Macintosh Portable running UUPC with a feed through talcott.
It's not full of features or anything, but it does the job. Several people
are working on improving it so it will grow. If you're willing to do
a bit of playing with it, it's a fine solution.

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/14/90)

In article <3596@dev.dtic.dla.mil> sdussin@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Steve Dussinger) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a _REAL_ version of UUPC available for
>the Mac??  I've tried the one that's on SUMEX, but it's trash...

I downloaded the version posted to comp.binaries.mac dated 10/9/89
(article 26983@dhw68k.cts.com).  It was posted by Sak Wathanasin
(sw%nan.uucp@ukc.ac.uk).  I don't know if that's the one on SUMEX, but
the article did say "Approved: Info-Mac@Sumex-aim.stanford.edu".

It definintely works; I experimented with it, and I have a user polling
my 3B1 (Sys V UNIX with HDB UUCP) regularly from his Mac Plus
(cboard!zaphod!cjr@oswego.oswego.edu).  The only problem I'm aware of
is that he can't get it to work reliably at 2400 baud - at 1200 baud
there are no problems and he typically gets 110 bytes/sec throughput.

I would be interested in hearing about any new versions, or comments from
anyone else who uses UUPC...

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff
cboard!ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (01/15/90)

In article <1990Jan14.014038.24861@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>In article <3596@dev.dtic.dla.mil> sdussin@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Steve Dussinger) writes:
>>Does anyone know if there is a _REAL_ version of UUPC available for
>>the Mac??  I've tried the one that's on SUMEX, but it's trash...
>>

>I downloaded the version posted to comp.binaries.mac dated 10/9/89
>(article 26983@dhw68k.cts.com).  It was posted by Sak Wathanasin
>(sw%nan.uucp@ukc.ac.uk).  I don't know if that's the one on SUMEX, but
>the article did say "Approved: Info-Mac@Sumex-aim.stanford.edu".

I have ported this version to LSC4.0, enhanced it and removed lots
of bugs. It is stable on about a dozen sites now. The ReadMe for this
unofficial distribution follows. It has been posted to Info-Mac and
comp.binaries.mac but so far, I've not seen it on either. I can mail a few
out if requested (so far I've mailed 7 since the last posting - if you've
requested one and not got it then mail me again since my mail stack is empty).

I have a newer version under test (v2.1) that will allow selective direction
of mail through specific hosts (the current version mails everything
spooled through the first host to which a connection is made). The new version
should deal with macs that may connect through more than one host.

While not multifinder friendly (it is modal and takes over the mac) it will
run under multifinder (I use it that way all the time). This version may act
as master or slave so you can back-to-back macs at 57k baud.

---------Read Me file for v2.0---------cut here------8<--------8<------
As requested here is my unofficial version of uupc.

The distribution is made in the form of a configured hierarchy, it
will run from this hierarchy from floppy or hard disk. To run from
floppy, you might like to copy and remove the sources in :usr:src.

MOTE:
 The distribution is done in 2 parts, binary and source. The source
 is distributed as a stuffit hierarchy rooted in :usr:src.
 The binary is a hierarchy rooted in :usr (minus :usr:src).

You will need to change 2 files to configure this release
1) :usr:bin:profile
2) :usr:lib:uucp:config:systems

The profile file may be edited with resedit, it contains STR resources
that are used to override the defaults in the code. The profile comes set up
for username "user" and hostname "host". After changing the username you
will want to rename the folder :usr:home:user to reflect that change.
You will probably also want to edit the "signature" file in your new home
directory to remove the "smart-alec" message contained there (wonder if I'll
catch anyone!!). The fields within profile that you'll want to change are;
	NODENAME (put in the name of your machine - be inventive)
	MAILSERVICE (the name of the host that will be your backbone)
	HOME (the name of your home directory)
	DOMAIN (your nodename.uucp (probably))
	NAME (your full name for outgoing mail)
	MAILBOX (what you would like your mailbox to called)

the systems file is a text editable file that contains instructions
for uupc to login to the remote host that you will need to dial for
mail/file transfers etc. I have included some examples that you might
like to edit for your requirements (change the hostname, phone number,
login name etc.).

If you want to run uupc and/or pcmail from the LSC project
(say for debugging) be sure to copy the profile file into the same
folder as the project files since the application's home is the folder that
it is started from and profile will not be found otherwise.

CHANGES AND ENHANCEMENTS FOR v2.0 on LSC 4.0

Converted uupc and pcmail to LSC 4.0. Added prototype.h files to uupc
pcmail and unixlibrary (generated by prototypemaker). Set the "require
prototypes" option. Added "systems" (L.sys) \<number> option where
<number> is a decimal based number that changes the timeout from the
hokey standard to <number> seconds until the next \<number>. See systems
file in Support folder for an example. I've tried to enable all THINK_C
specific code using #ifdef THINK_C. I have not distinguished between
v3.0 and v4.0 so this is a 4.0 specific piece of code. The \<number>
mods are all #ifdef Upgrade, I'm not too proud of my code - my objective
was not to make substantive changes and I believe if I thought about it a bit
some of the additions are redundant. The \<number> directive is effective
when used in the send string preceeding the "expect" to which it applies.

Activated existing code for slave mode uucp, and tested it.

Modified BREAK send-string implentation to simulate BREAK by sending
extended sequences of NULLs at 300 baud (then resetting the baud-rate
back to original). I have not fully tested the effectiveness of this
technique - feedback is welcome. Use a send string of BREAK or BREAK<n>
where <n> is a single digit number (without the "<>") to send longer
BREAKs.

garym@crash added the blank/comment/continuation line capability
to the systems file - thanks gary.

I have broken apart the unixlib library and included the necessary source files
directly in the relevant projects. This was so that I could run the debugger
on library modules.

The pcmail front-end is not nice it did not deal with the \r seperated lines
that are generated by uupc transfers from unix machines (it does now). Pcmail
did not echo its input and had the wrong screen length for paging, these
problems are fixed. There is now a limited aliasing facilility within pcmail,
the file :usr:home:user:.alias (unless overidden by the profile STR:ALIAS)
may contain lines of the form;
alias A B
mail target A will be replaced by address B. Note this is a limited facility
only, although many addresses may be given in B (white space separated), no
aliasing of aliases is performed and the "To" field does not expand to contain
the actual recipients ("To: A" will appear in the mail message though all
recipients in B will get a copy of the message).

To run uupc after setting up the relevant files and a host to dial,
double-click on uupc and supply the arg "-s<host>" where <host> is one of
the host names in your systems file (do not type the "<>s"). The optional
arg -x# where # is a number between 1 and 20 will give progressively
greater debugging info (note no spaces in either -s or -x args).

Run pcmail by double-clicking and providing no arg (to read your mail)
or args representing the addresses to be sent mail relative to your
remote host site. You may leave out the name of your remote host in the
address since the profile file is set up for only that remote host and
it is assumed that this is where the mail will be sent if any of the
addressees' addresses contain characters in the set [!%@] (brackets
not included). A -f <unix file spec> as 2 args to pcmail will cause
pcmail to read mail from the specified file (unix file specs use '/'
as the directory delimeter - rooted in the volume on which the
application resides).

I have no other problems to report from this version of uupc. I can not
promise to support this distribution on anything other than an ad-hock
basis. No guarantee is implied and the software is provided "as is" (warts
and all).

--alen the Lisa slayer

   ...alen%shappy@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
   ...alen@crash.cts.com