[comp.sys.mac] PICT2 to GIF

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/14/90)

I'm not an accomplished Mac user, so pardon if this is excessively naive.
I have several PICT2 format files--both 8-bit grayscale and 8-bit color
with LUT output from a scanner--which I would like to convert to GIF format,
and then distribute to non-Mac sites.

Are there any commercial or free/shareware programs which will do this
for me?  Recommendations for programs to convert to other formats (TIFF,
etc.) are welcome too, although my particular need right now is GIF.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/15/90)

In article <1231@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I'm not an accomplished Mac user, so pardon if this is excessively naive.
>I have several PICT2 format files--both 8-bit grayscale and 8-bit color
>with LUT output from a scanner--which I would like to convert to GIF format,
>and then distribute to non-Mac sites.

I've been answering questions like this by email, but I'm seeing them so often
that I thought I'd post.

There's a sharware program called GIF Converter which loads and saves a host
of formats, including GIF, TIFF, RIFF, EPSF (regular and text), PICT, Paint,
startup screens (Mac Plus and Mac II), etc, etc, etc.  It's written by Kevin
Mitchell and it's "Keyware" -- you get a fully functional demo except that the
images you view and save are corrupted (not the original files, fo course),
but if you pay the fee ($30 for registration, $40 for registration and future
upgrades), then you get a software key to type at it, and it becomes fully
functional.  There's both a version 1.04, which is a release, and 2.0 which is
a beta, but has a lot more functionality and isn't buggy enough to concern
oneself with.  These programs are available from CompuServe on the
GRAPHSUPPORT forum, which I believe is their only authorized distribution
site.  Since there's so much interest in it around here, I'll write to Kevin
and ask him if I could post it to SUMEX.  No guarantees!

--Mike

P.S. I'm just a very, very satisfied customer.