[comp.sys.mac] Apple HDBackup Zaps Applications

mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Kilby) (01/12/90)

I've had my Mac SE/20 for over a year now and like any smart computer user
I regularly back up my hard disk.  Since I'm a student on a budget, I use
Apple's HDBackup (v1.1?).  Well, I read this neato little blurb in MacWorld
(I believe it was Nov 89) about how to repartition your Apple HD20 to get
more than 20Meg out of the hard disk.  Drooling over this prospect, I backed
up the hard disk, repartitioned it according to the article, and then restored
the files from my backup floppies to the HD.  Lo and behold, all the applications (Word 4.0, SuperPaint, etc.) had been changed to documents and all icons
(both document and application files) had been replaced by the generic document
icon.  When replacing the zapped Word 4.0 with a copy from my master floppy,
all the documents I had previously created with Word had regained their Word
icons.

SO WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

After replacing all my applications, everything is fine now but I would
prefer to avoid a repeat performance.  Is this a case of RTFM (i.e. Apple
Macintosh Utilities manual) that I missed or has someone else blameless
stubbledross this problem?

My configuration is as follows:

	Mac SE
	HD20 (internal)
	800k floppy (internal)
	System 6.0.2
	Various INITs

E-mail or postings are fine.
Thanks in advance.

Mark C. Kilby
mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu

npreyer@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Norris Preyer) (01/12/90)

In article <21738@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes
about backing up a hard disk with HDBackup, reformatting the disk,
then restoring from the backup.  All applications and documents had
the generic icons.

   It sure sounds like HDBackup didn't rebuild the invisible DeskTop file
(I don't know if it ever does) after the restore, so the Finder didn't
learn which icons went with which programs, etc.  To rebuild the desktop,
reboot your machine (bringing up the Finder, not Multifinder) while holding
down the command and option keys (keep holding them down until you get a
dialog box).  You should get a dialog box asking if you want to rebuild
the desktop.  Click yes and sit back a spell.  You might also want to
run "BundAid" (available from the sumex archives) to go through and check
that all the "bundle" bits really are set correctly.
   Hope this help--Norris Preyer

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/15/90)

In article <3716@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> npreyer@mit-caf.UUCP (Norris Preyer) writes:
>In article <21738@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes
>about backing up a hard disk with HDBackup, reformatting the disk,
>then restoring from the backup.  All applications and documents had
>the generic icons.
>
>   It sure sounds like HDBackup didn't rebuild the invisible DeskTop file

This is interesting, since just two days ago someone from our user group
came by and described the same thing  happenning to him using HDBackup.

He was very specific, however, that all his *documents* had the correct
icons, but his *applications* appeared as generic document icons (blank
sheet of paper with the corner folded over).  He said he rebuilt the
DeskTop file, but that didn't help....

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/15/90)

In article <1990Jan14.222952.3465@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) writes:

> This is interesting, since just two days ago someone from our user group
> came by and described the same thing  happenning to him using HDBackup.
>
> He was very specific, however, that all his *documents* had the correct
> icons, but his *applications* appeared as generic document icons (blank
> sheet of paper with the corner folded over).  He said he rebuilt the
> DeskTop file, but that didn't help....

The commonest situation in which I've seen this, is if you're running
with a mis-configured copy of Gatekeeper.  Gatekeeper prevents
applications from creating new files whose types are 'APPL', 'INIT,
'cdev', etc. unless the application doing the work is on the list of
programs that have been granted "File/other" permission.  If you run HD
Backup (or any other backup utility), and haven't added the utility to
the list that Gatekeeper knows about, all of the application-files (and
INITs, etc.) written to the backup-disk will end up with a "generic"
file type.

This usually doesn't happen with the current version (1.1.1) of
Gatekeeper, because [a] it comes pre-configured for most applications
that need privileges, and [b] it warns you when it applies a veto, and
[c] it defaults to "Warn, but do not veto" mode when it's first
installed, and advises you to switch it over into "veto" mode to enable
the antiviral protections.

However, these points do not hold true if you install the original (1.0)
version of Gatekeeper... it vetos "suspicious" operations with no notice
or warning.  You can easily end up with applications that have been
rendered "generic", if you don't configure it right when you install it.

Anyone who is still running version 1.0 of Gatekeeper should upgrade to
1.1.1 immediately if not sooner... and then run a new set of backups, in
case the old ones aren't clean.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com