[comp.sys.mac] $69 1M SIMMS

dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (01/11/90)

from an ad (pg 67) in MacWEEK, Jan '90:
.
1M SIMMS, 80ns fast page, surface mount: $69.00, 5 yr gaurantee
.
i was gonna wait until the prices fell under $70 to buy, soon you'll be
able to get 4M for $250 (at these rates). wasn't it just last year that
that 1M cost over $250?

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/13/90)

I've been thinking: What a tremendous mistake apple has made by not
unloading its DRAM stockpile on the open market last year at firesale
prices ($150/1Mb).

They could have written off the huge loss, and then started putting these
$69 DRAMS into production macintoshes, at incredible savings.

Does anyone know if Apple liquidated its DRAM stockpiles?  Or are Mac
buyers still paying for that overpurchasing mistake?

pophal@nicmad.UUCP (Gerry Pophal) (01/15/90)

In article <126900148@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I've been thinking: What a tremendous mistake apple has made by not
>unloading its DRAM stockpile on the open market last year at firesale
>prices ($150/1Mb).
>
>They could have written off the huge loss, and then started putting these
>$69 DRAMS into production macintoshes, at incredible savings.
>
>Does anyone know if Apple liquidated its DRAM stockpiles?  Or are Mac
>buyers still paying for that overpurchasing mistake?

   I just ordered some simms from Technology Works on 1/13/90. They
claimed to be manufacturing SIMMs for Apple. I'm don't know exactly what
this means regarding Apples SIMM stockpile but thought it was interesting
anyway.
      gp

oplinger@jupiter.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (01/15/90)

In article <126900148@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Does anyone know if Apple liquidated its DRAM stockpiles?  Or are Mac
>buyers still paying for that overpurchasing mistake?

We just had (right before Christmas) a big buy apple seminar from
NyNex (New York telephone who also sell computer equipment at 30%
off). They had memory upgrades from Apple list $999 for 4MEG.
Gosh what a deal, what a buy. Apple buys memory when it is
expensive and tries to recover it at 4x market value. After all,
a corporate type buying a computer will most likely say something
along the lines of 'Give me a Mac IIci with an extra 4 megs of
memory and a 85 meg drive.', without worrying about the cost.

brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com

--
<#include standard.disclaimer>