[comp.sys.mac] DAs won't open under multifinder! HELP :-<

stevens@tigger.colorado.edu (Curt Stevens) (01/15/90)

All of a sudden my Das won't open under multifinder. All I get is abeep
whenever I try. Under finder everything is fine. I didn't add any new
inits or do anything unusual to the machine between the last time it
worked and the onset of the problem. I was playing Sim City. Just before
that game I set the color level to 16 so the DAs were working at that
time. I selected the finder, put in a floppy to format and that's where
the weirdness started. The disk wouln't mount and I had to eject it with
a paperclip. After that I put in a formatted floppy that also wouldn't
mount so I restarted the machine (macII, 5megs, 6.0.3). After that the
first floppy was properly recognized as an unreadable media and properly
formatted. After that I used the finder to copy some stuff to the floppy
and it worked fine. At this point I tried to select the control panel and
all I got was a beep. Under finder everything works fine. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

|Curt Stevens       (303) 492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Dept. ECOT 7-7   |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |I don't believe in intuition, but |
|Boulder, Colorado 80309-0430  USA |       |I have strangest feeling I will!! |

========
| Curt |
========

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/15/90)

In article <15625@boulder.Colorado.EDU> stevens@tigger.colorado.edu (Curt Stevens) writes:
>All of a sudden my Das won't open under multifinder. All I get is abeep
>whenever I try. Under finder everything is fine. I didn't add any new
>inits or do anything unusual to the machine between the last time it
>worked and the onset of the problem.
> ... [ further explanation deleted ]

It's entirely possible that your computer burped and corrupted your
system somehow....

The first thing I'd try would be to replace the `DA Handler' file and
test again for the problem.  If Multifinder can't find the DA Handler,
it beeps and refuses to open any DA's.

Barring that, try just reinstalling your system.  (This might be a
good opportunity to upgrade to 6.0.4!).

Good luck.

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (01/16/90)

In article <15625@boulder.Colorado.EDU> stevens@tigger.colorado.edu (Curt Stevens) writes:

>All of a sudden my Das won't open under multifinder. All I get is abeep
>whenever I try. Under finder everything is fine.

>|Curt Stevens       (303) 492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu

You removed the document, "DA Handler" from your System Folder.  Under
MultiFinder, DAs (by default, at least) do not run in any
application's layer, but in their own.  DA Handler is what that runs
this layer.  Hence, if you don't have it installed your DAs won't run.

In order to run a DA in a particular application's layer, hold down
the Option key while pulling down the DA from the Apple menu.  This
trick will allow you to run DAs without DA Handler in your System
Folder, but since it would be a pain to do this and DA Handler only
takes up 6K, I'd reinstall it if I were you.

Hope this helps.
--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.UChicago.EDU
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions herein are my own, not      }