[comp.sys.mac] DTP on 386

jin@eecg.toronto.edu (Jinwon Kim) (01/12/90)

Would anyone who has used applications such as Aldus Pagemaker
and Adobe Illustrator on a 68030 based Mac and a corresponding
version on a 386 based system under Windows like to comment on
their relative merits?  Are they same on both systems?  Do they
run at comparable speeds on both systems, or do they appear more
sluggish on one system than the other?

jin@eecg.toronto.edu

MXD118@PSUVM.BITNET (Mike Dahmus) (01/13/90)

In article <1990Jan11.120911.19092@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
jin@eecg.toronto.edu (Jinwon Kim) says:

>Would anyone who has used applications such as Aldus Pagemaker
>and Adobe Illustrator on a 68030 based Mac and a corresponding
>version on a 386 based system under Windows like to comment on
>their relative merits?  Are they same on both systems?  Do they
>run at comparable speeds on both systems, or do they appear more
>sluggish on one system than the other?

I've used PageMaker on a regular Mac Plus and on a 16mHz Model 70.
The Mac Plus was faster - so I suspect the 68030 would blow away
the Model 70.
-------
Michael E. Dahmus
MXD118 @ PSUVM
WARNING:  The opinions expressed here are in no way connected with
any university anywhere on the face of any planet in this galaxy.
"Stupid people and Macintoshes - it takes a crowbar to seperate 'em!"
"Penn State Housing Motto:  If at first you don't succeed,  try
 again - but this time don't let word get out too early!!!"

From: Tom Davis <DAVISTD@MSU.BITNET>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Is SIMTEL20 dead?
Date: Friday, 12 Jan 1990 16:06:31 EST

I've been unable to reach SIMTEL20 lately.  I can get to other host on
the same network (26/MILNET) but not to SIMTEL20.  ?Que pasa?
-------
Tom Davis                 | The above statement shall be construed,
Network Software Services | interpreted, and governed by me alone.
Michigan State University | EMail: davistd@ibm.cl.msu.edu

mtang@altos86.Altos.COM (Man Kit Tang) (01/16/90)

In article <90012.154848MXD118@PSUVM.BITNET> MXD118@PSUVM.BITNET (Mike Dahmus) writes:
>In article <1990Jan11.120911.19092@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
>jin@eecg.toronto.edu (Jinwon Kim) says:
>>
>>Would anyone who has used applications such as Aldus Pagemaker
>>and Adobe Illustrator on a 68030 based Mac and a corresponding
>>version on a 386 based system under Windows like to comment on
>>their relative merits?  Are they same on both systems?  Do they
>>run at comparable speeds on both systems, or do they appear more
>>sluggish on one system than the other?
>
>I've used PageMaker on a regular Mac Plus and on a 16mHz Model 70.
>The Mac Plus was faster - so I suspect the 68030 would blow away
>the Model 70.
>
>Michael E. Dahmus
>MXD118 @ PSUVM

I have a MacIIcx (15.7MHz 68030, 5MB memory, 8-bit graphics & 80MB hard disk)
and a Compaq Deskpro386/20(20MHz 80386, 5MB memory, EGA graphics & 60 MB
hard disk).  PageMaker on average for the work that I done appears to be
0% to 20% faster on the Compaq running Windows/386 than on the MacIIcx
running Multifinder. However, I use the Mac more often since 20% of speed
degradation is well compensated by the well defined user interface of the
Mac.

Opinion expressed above are mine and definitely has nothing to do with my
company.

M. K. Tang
mtang@altos86.Altos.COM