[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: What I'd like to see in the AppleShare of the 90's

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (01/15/90)

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) writes:

>If you kick out the LocalTalk connector on your Mac, you lose network
>services, but your Mac *should not* crash. At least, the AShare client
>software shouldn't cause that crash, it should be giving you the "the
>server disappeared" dialog.

Right now, if I kick out the LocalTalk connector to my Mac, nothing
happens. (I did it right after the comma.) I can do it for a pretty long
period of time, too -- I did it right after those parentheses and
went down the hall for a drink of water.

I am typing this in a window across AppleTalk onto my UNIX machine,
by the way.

When the *server* goes down, however, it crashes immediately, no chance
for recovery. I am not sure that anything really *can* happen at that
point -- if that Mac has failed, your work is lost, as if your Mac
had failed. Isn't that true? Nice programs will let you recover what you're
working on, of course....

Dan

--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (01/16/90)

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) writes:

>Right now, if I kick out the LocalTalk connector to my Mac, nothing
>happens. I can do it for a pretty long period of time, too

Yes, but did you have an AppleShare volume mounted?

>When the *server* goes down, however, it crashes immediately, no
>chance for recovery. I am not sure that anything really *can* happen
>at that point -- if that Mac has failed, your work is lost, as if
>your Mac had failed. Isn't that true?

No, you should still be able to save your current work to a local
volume, be it floppy or hard disk. All that's happened is the
disappearance of the volume that you were saving to previously. MacDTS
tells everyone to put all their temp and prefs files on a local volume
for precisely this reason.

Stephan Somogyi
NetWorkShop Manager
MacUser