[comp.sys.mac] Programming the Mac in C

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/12/90)

Hi,

  Does anybody have any suggestions for books that are "primers" on programming
the Mac, and which give examples in C?  Examples in Pascal aren't really
helpful to me, and I really need more of a "This is how it's done on the Mac"
than a "This is how you write C" book...

Thanks,

--Mike

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (01/15/90)

> .....  books that are "primers" on programming
> the Mac, and which give examples in C?

Huxham, Burnard and Takatsuka, "Using the Macintosh Toolbox with C"
2nd Edition, Sybex, Inc., 1989.  Superb -- even if you don't program
in C and just want a description of programming on the Macintosh in
general.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/15/90)

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
> any suggestions for books that are "primers" on programming the Mac

	I used "Macintosh Programming Primer" by Dave Mark and Cartwright
Reed and recommend it strongly.  About $25 from Addison Wesley.  It's
designed specifically for use with Think C, which I found useful since
that's what I have.  For another $25 or so, you can get The Disk, which has
all the source for the examples used in the book (along with a license to
use said source as a starting point for your programs, if you desire).  One
of the examples is a pretty complete skeleton which does all the various
initializations, has a main loop, puts up some basic menus, handles events,
etc.  Just what you need to start building your own application.  I suggest
getting both the book and The Disk.

	The book assumes you know C, are familar with the Mac from a user's
point of view, and have a general feel for concepts like event-driven
programming and window management systems.  It's not a complete Mac Toolbox
reference either, you still need Inside Macintosh and the TechNotes (and
the Think C reference manual).

> Examples in Pascal aren't really helpful to me

	At least IM doesn't give examples in MIXAL, like some other
well-known series of computer reference books.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/15/90)

In article <1385@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Hi,
>
>  Does anybody have any suggestions for books that are "primers" on programming
>the Mac, and which give examples in C?

C Programming Techniques for the Macintosh by Zigurd R. Mednieks and Terry
M. Schilke, Howard W. Sams & Co., Indianapolis, IN, 1986, ISBN 0-672-22461-5

This is perhaps a a little dated by now (maybe there's a new edition?), but
I found it very helpful several years ago.  There are lots of examples which
the authors work through step by step.

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/16/90)

Greetings,

  A few days ago, I posted the question:  "What's a good programming 'primer'
for the Macintosh that uses C as its sample language."  I was looking for a
book for people new to programming the Mac, not new to programming.

  I've received a stack of responses, and they are nearly unanimous:  the book
most recommended is "Macintosh Programming Primer" by Mark & Reed.  Published
by Addison-Wesley.  The book is based on THINK C v3.0, and there is an
optional companion source-code disk which can be ordered.

  The runner up (distant) was "C Programming Techniques for the Macintosh" by
Mednieks & Schilke, but it wasn't really close.

  Thanks to everyone who responded. I picked up a copy of the "Primer" and
Inside Mac volumes I & V  (those recommended by the book), so it's time to
dive in!

--Mike