[comp.sys.mac] PICS format

bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) (01/11/90)

Does anyone know what the PICS format is?  I've got some animations I
produced with Theorist but cannot play them back.  The people at Prescience
claim that Videoworks uses PICS so I tried using Videoworks to play back the
animations.  Videoworks doesn't even recognize the Theorist PICS files.
So I figure I will have to write my own routine to play back animations
produced with Theorist.  It's seems strange to me that animations produced by
Theorist are NOT EVEN playable BY Theorist!

Anyway, can anyone give me details on PICS format... or any good suggestions on
how to deal with this problem?

--Bill

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (01/12/90)

In article <5966@ncar.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
>Does anyone know what the PICS format is?

It's basically a series of PICT resources, numbered sequentially from 128,
each containing either a whole frame or a modification to the previous
frame.  I've got some formal documentation somewhere; I'll dig it up and
e-mail it to you (it's a bit long).  If anyone else wants it, just ask...

>I've got some animations I
>produced with Theorist but cannot play them back.

The document mentioned some programs starting the numbering with 0 instead
of 128; perhaps this is part of the problem.

			"The moment money slips into a student's pocket, an
			 imaginary pillar rises for him to lounge against."
____________________		- Balzac, Pere Goriot

--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.UUCP

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (01/16/90)

In article <5966@ncar.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
" Does anyone know what the PICS format is?  I've got some animations I
" produced with Theorist but cannot play them back.  The people at Prescience
" claim that Videoworks uses PICS so I tried using Videoworks to play back the
" ...

PICS is published by MacroMind, Inc. and is free for the asking.
415/442-0200. I can binhex the document and send it around also.

It's MacroMind Director that recognizes PICS files. VideoWorks is an
older program and was released before PICS came out.

Julian Gomez
3-D Scientist, MacroMind, Inc.
--
"Common sense isn't"