[comp.sys.mac] Welltris

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (12/02/89)

Has anybody seen Welltris (the 3-D version of Tetris) for the Mac?  Is
it worth the sleepless nights, the staring, bloodshot eyes, the $19 from
MacConnection?

thanx

-mike

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (12/04/89)

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

> Has anybody seen Welltris (the 3-D version of Tetris) for the Mac?  Is
> it worth the sleepless nights, the staring, bloodshot eyes, the $19 from
> MacConnection?

I called MacConnection on Thursday of last week (mere *instants* after
getting my latest catalog :-)); and asked about Welltris. Unfortunately,
Welltris shouldn't have been included in that catalog, as Spectrum
Holobyte is planning a February or March release. (The PC version is
due out any day now--hence the mixup.)

As far as I can reconstruct from the advertisement, you are still playing
an essentially 2-d game of Tetris, except there are four simultaneous
playing fields going on linked side-to-side with wrap-around (the four
walls of a rectangular well).  Presumably one must fill in all four
walls of bricks before they slide down the well.

Sort of like Tetris combined with the old arcade game, Tempest.  A real
review will be forthcoming in February or March.  $19 for a game can't be
beat.

-Nick

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   / /_/   O>  \   ------------+-------------------------+ Swarthmore College
   |       O>   |  215-328-8225| jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu| Swarthmore PA 19081
    \_Guernica_/   ------------+-------------------------+                 USA

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) (01/12/90)

Does anyone know if Spectrum Holebyte has released a version of Welltris
for the Macintosh as of yet?  I have seen it on the IBM and was quite
impressed.

For those who have never heard of it:
Welltris is a "3-D" version of Tetris which is written by the same author
of Tetris.

Thanks in advance.

--Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (01/13/90)

In article <8154@portia.Stanford.EDU> thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes:
>Does anyone know if Spectrum Holebyte has released a version of Welltris
>for the Macintosh as of yet?  I have seen it on the IBM and was quite
>impressed.
>--Derek Fong

I saw Welltris advertised in this month's MacWorld by MacConnection.  I don't
recall the price, but MacConnection's number is (800) 622-5472.  Give 'em a
call.  I've heard Welltris is great as well, but from an avid Tetris fan.

Cheers!
-Russ
--
Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (01/13/90)

I tried to order Welltris in December as a gift and was told
that the release date had been pushed back until March.

-rsvp

hampel@demon.siemens.com (Blave a blave blave.) (01/16/90)

In article <1373@key.COM> russ@xanadu.key.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>In article <8154@portia.Stanford.EDU> thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes:
>>Does anyone know if Spectrum Holebyte has released a version of Welltris
>>for the Macintosh as of yet?  I have seen it on the IBM and was quite
>>impressed.
>>--Derek Fong
>
>I saw Welltris advertised in this month's MacWorld by MacConnection.  I don't
>recall the price, but MacConnection's number is (800) 622-5472.  Give 'em a
>call.  I've heard Welltris is great as well, but from an avid Tetris fan.
>
>Cheers!
>-Russ
I am an avid Tetris fan, and am quite pleased with my purchase of Blockout.
I have not seen or heard of Welltris until this posting, but Blockout is a
3D Tetris game in which the 3D blocks fall down a well.  You can choose
from several "block sets."  There's flat set, basic set, and extended set.
The basic set (the most fun IMHO) consists of the shapes that made up the
Soma Cube.  You can also change the dimensions of the well.  I'd like to
know the differences between the two games especially after comparing
Ninetendo Tetris and Tengen Tetris (both for Ninetendo).  Tengen is by far
a MUCH better version.
Thanks.
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_Ken_Hampel|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|hampel@demon.siemens.com_|_|_"Whose|turn_is|it_to|grease_the_wheezer?"_|
|_...!princeton!siemens!demon!hampel|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (01/16/90)

Just to add to the discussion, I recently got BlockOut from California
Games, and was distressed to find that it didn't run at all on my IIci.
I called CG and they indicated they'd have someone check it out and
give me a call "Monday".  Well, they didn't get ahold of me today, but
I expect to hear from them in a few days about the game.

As far as Welltris, I know that Spectrum Holobyte has it in the queue
for release, but I don't believe it's actually avaliable yet for the
Macintosh.

And as for games listed in places like MacConnection, well, all I can
say is that I've tracked down games they list, talked to the companies
that make 'em, and found out that the games aren't actually going to
be shipping for the Mac for months...most distressing!

Meanwhile, I think that the version of Tetris for the Nintendo GameBoy
is the best I've come across, especially the cool two-player mode...
but you can read about that in rec.games.video if you're interested.

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor