[comp.sys.mac] MacIDRIS

ktrostel@athena.mit.edu (Ian Dowell) (09/07/89)

I saw a product called MacIDRIS at MacWorld by a company
called Whitesmiths Australia.  IDRIS is purported to be
a POSIX compatible OS for the Mac which will run in 1M
with 5M of disk space and do multi-tasking.

Has anybody used IDRIS?  Is it any good (say compared to
A/UX)?  What would it be userful for?

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) (10/01/89)

In article <30881@cci632.UUCP> ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) writes:
>Actualy you can add one more.  MacIDRIS is a fully POSIX compatable port
>of UNIX that runs as an application under Multifinder on the Mac.  So
>
>Pete Hoch

	Can someone give more info on IDRIS?  Who makes it for how much,
how much RAM does it eat, etc.  Could it be used as a command-line
interface under MF?

						-- tad

--
"mblakele@jarthur.claremont.edu"

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (10/03/89)

In article <2217@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mblakele@jarthur.UUCP (Tad Blakeley) writes:
>In article <30881@cci632.UUCP> ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) writes:
>>Actualy you can add one more.  MacIDRIS is a fully POSIX compatable port
>>of UNIX that runs as an application under Multifinder on the Mac.  So
>>
>>Pete Hoch
>
>	Can someone give more info on IDRIS?  Who makes it for how much,
>how much RAM does it eat, etc.  Could it be used as a command-line
>interface under MF?

  It works on 512K Enhanced, but it would like a meg of RAM.  No, it can't be
used as a command line under MF;  it has it's own 'partition' on your disk.
By partition I mean there's a file which is its entire file system.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
Self-declared License Czar         | Real-mail: Dean Yu
University of Michigan             |            909 Church St
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            Apt C
     INCLUDE 'Disclaimers.a'       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (01/11/90)

Hi.

In a previous posting, smsdpg!rht@uunet.uu.net (Randy Thompson)
mentioned a csh-like command line interpreter for the Mac that ran as
an application under MacOS.  He said that he didn't remember its exact
name, but it was something like MacIDRIS.

Any pointers to same, or reasonable fasimiles?

--
      Art Werschulz
      InterNet:  agw@cs.columbia.edu

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (01/11/90)

I imagine this must be a product from Whitesmiths, who makes a
OS for the pdp11 called IDRIS. Then again, maybe not. ?
Five year old info:
Whitesmiths, ltd
97 Lowell Rd
Concord, MA 01742   (617)369-8499
Disclaimer: I have no connection with Whitesmiths, other than using
their RT11 C compiler.

--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu   Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (01/15/90)

In article <AGW.90Jan10121005@cs.cs.columbia.edu> agw@cs.columbia.edu writes:

>In a previous posting, smsdpg!rht@uunet.uu.net (Randy Thompson)
>mentioned a csh-like command line interpreter for the Mac that ran as
>an application under MacOS.  He said that he didn't remember its exact
>name, but it was something like MacIDRIS.

MacIDRIS seems to be a product of Whitesmiths.  It is distributed by
Intermetrics, Inc, 733 Concord Ave, Cambridge, MA, 02138-1002.

According to the literature that I received, MacIDRIS is the only POSIX
compliant O/S for the Mac.  Here is a breif list of commands that it
supports (highlights only, the entire list is quite long):
	System Control: kill, nice, nohup, ps, sh
	Shell: cd, exec, if, umask, sleep, test, time
	File Utility: cp, chown, ln, ls, mv, sync, tar, touch
	Text Utility: cat, crypt, dd, emacs, grep, roff, sort, tee, wc
	User Utility: log, lpr, mail, passwd, su
	Terminal: cu, kermit, stty
	Development: cc, link, make, prof

MacIDRIS requires a Mac+ or avove, 1M RAM (2M with MultiFinder),
System 5 or above, and 5M on your hard-disk.

Their literature contained a lot of detail about the actual implementation,
and gave me the impression that you get essentailly a unix system, but
beware of the library--if the standard unix system calls are missing and
the standard library is different, it may be a non-trivial task to port
your favorite unix programs to MacIDRIS.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who put down the $499 and
purchased MacIDRIS.

-john-

John A. Weeks III	(612) 942-6969		  ...!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john
<***  ***  Disclaimer: Its my machine, so I can say whatever I want.  ***  ***>

CJENKINSR@mail.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) (01/16/90)

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) writes:
> Hi.
>
> In a previous posting, smsdpg!rht@uunet.uu.net (Randy Thompson)
> mentioned a csh-like command line interpreter for the Mac that ran as
> an application under MacOS.  He said that he didn't remember its exact
> name, but it was something like MacIDRIS.
>
> Any pointers to same, or reasonable fasimiles?

[stuff deleted]
--
Call John O'Brien at Whitesmiths Australia.

P.O. Box 756
Kogarah N.S.W. 2217
Australia

ph  (02) 588 7652
fax (02) 588 7652

Check the ISD code for Australia: I think it is +61, but I never have to use it
'coz I live here. I know the Phone and Fax numbers are the same, but I don't
know why. If I find out otherwise I will post accordingly.

If you do talk to John, ask him where the *#@!! my copy is!  I am waiting...
Richard Jenkins      Tel: (09) 351 7864                      AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Group     Fax: (09) 351 2673            ACSnet:cjenkinsr@mail.cut.oz
Curtin University    Perth, Western Australia    psi%050529452300030::cjenkinsr