[comp.sys.mac] Memory Sucker: Who's Got One?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/16/90)

Got your attention, I see.

Does anyone have a way to lessen the number of disk swaps it takes to
run a program?  Specifically, I try to run CMS Utils (in the process of
recovering a hard-disk for a customer, which is why there's no hard disk
that works on-line, just my one wheezy 800K FD) from a non-booting
floppy--and 1,771,561 swaps later, the program crashes.  Well, ok,
sometimes it runs, but the more disk swaps done, the more likely you'll
croak & die.

Now, ok, so the CMS boys should (pardon if I'm not 100% Cardinal ToolBox
here--not a deeeveloper) write all their requests for system resources
real early on, so they can all be snarfed at once.  Ditto for many other
utilities (listening, guys?).  But barring that hazy future, can I
somehow load much more of my system resources into memory?  Will getting
more RAM for my Plus help?  Does someone have a II they want to give me?

If there's a control-shift-meta-cokebottle incantation (Hi, Stephan),
I'll take that too.

	Spending too much time reading netnews,
		Alex

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>Does anyone have a way to lessen the number of disk swaps it takes to
>run a program?

About the only thing you can do (and it might create some other glitches,
depending on the amount of memory) is hack on a copy of the application with
resedit. Go through the thing opening up the various types of resources and
do a 'Get Info' on each resource. Then click on the 'preload' checkbox.
Resources with 'preload' set will load in at the beginning of the execution,
although there is no guarantee they won't be purged.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Oh, saith you that this should be some pithy saying, but frankly, I can't
think of anything to say. -- William Shakespeare