[comp.sys.mac] SuperMac QuickDraw accelerator + 32 QuickDraw

hallett@pet16.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (01/13/90)

I have a question regarding the new  SuperMac QuickDraw accelerator (I
think the call it their System III product...?).  I was thinking about
getting the  Color/24 card (equivalent to  Rasterops 264 - 24bit color
for  13" monitors only) with the  accelerator.  I was wondering though
how well the accelerator and the 32 Quickdraw work together.  I wonder
if the accelerator "impersonates" the code from Apple or if  the Apple
init overrides the accelerator.    There is  software that  checks for
this  Apple extension explicitly and  unless the accelerator poses for
it, that software will not work.

Any ideas?

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

hallett@pet16.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (01/17/90)

In article <1865@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@gemed.ge.com (Jeffrey A. Hallett (414) 548-5163) writes:
>I have a question regarding the new  SuperMac QuickDraw accelerator (I
>think the call it their System III product...?).  I was thinking about
>getting the  Color/24 card (equivalent to  Rasterops 264 - 24bit color
>for  13" monitors only) with the  accelerator.  I was wondering though
>how well the accelerator and the 32 Quickdraw work together.  I wonder
>if the accelerator "impersonates" the code from Apple or if  the Apple
>init overrides the accelerator.    There is  software that  checks for
>this  Apple extension explicitly and  unless the accelerator poses for
>it, that software will not work.
>
>Any ideas?

Well, I  was just on  the  phone with   Fabian Ramirez  from SuperMac.
Their  color  card  and accelerator  REQUIRE   32-bit Color  Quickdraw
(either in ROM or  as the INIT).  In fact,  they are licensed by Apple
to distribute the INIT with  their stuff.  They patch certain primitve
calls and accelerate them in ASICs.  For example, Fabian remarked that
they accelerate CopyBits by a factor of 8.

He is forwarding my original posting to actual implementers, so expect
to hear more in the near future...

Thanks Fabian!