[comp.sys.mac] no 6.0.4 upgarde pat

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/16/90)

In article <3592@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
> From article <12930@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):
> > (This might be a good opportunity to upgrade to 6.0.4!).
>
> There's no upgrade path to System 6.0.4. Some Apple employee posted a note,
> or I read it in MacWeek, or something, but there are some bugs in 6.0.4
> for machines other than the IIci and the Portable. Consequently, 6.0.4
> is sort of an island on those machines. Wait for 7.0.

Could you cite further information, please?  I've been running 6.0.4
quite happily on my Mac SE at work and my Mac II at home.  I've seen
no problems whatsoever, in either of these environments, which would lead
me to believe that 6.0.4 is buggy.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (01/16/90)

Dave Platt more sensibly wrote:
> Could you cite further information, please?

No, I can't. It's one of those things that one is sure of when posting
but later seems rather silly because there is no source of info to point to.

My apologies to all, but I do wonder where the idea came from. There must
have been _something_; even _I'm_ not that crazy.

Does anyone know if there is any good reason to upgrade to 6.0.4 besides
satisfying my anal-retentiveness?

Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/16/90)

>Does anyone know if there is any good reason to upgrade to 6.0.4 besides
>satisfying my anal-retentiveness?

It has bug fixes!! (the main reason to start with)
The finder and multifinder have new features...
ability for "finder sounds,"  parent window features (one closes the parent
window as you go within a folder(via option key) -beware tunneling!
another is making the parent window come forward even if it's closed (via
the Layout resource))
Improvements, the installer is MUCH nicer...
etc...

Willi

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/17/90)

In article <3595@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:

> Does anyone know if there is any good reason to upgrade to 6.0.4 besides
> satisfying my anal-retentiveness?

Well, there are a significant number of bug-fixes.  There are some
patches to 32-bit Color QuickDraw which make it more reliable in the
single-Finder environment, some crash-avoiding patches in the new Sound
Manager, some enhancements in the Script Manager, and some other
patches as well.

The 6.0.4 Installer is far easier to use than the older one.  It's
actually possible to install 6.0.4 onto a floppy disk, using a system
with only one floppy drive and no hard disk!  This was effectively
impossible with the old Installer, due to its habit of performing
billyuns and billyuns of disk-swaps.