[comp.sys.mac] Mac software for Epson printer?

yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) (01/14/90)

Has anyone heard of UPSTART, software which permits Mac to print on an Epson
printer?  I heard that it's a commercial software that costs about $50 but I
haven't been able to find it anywhere. Any clues, rumors, hints about UPSTART,
or similar software would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yuichi
yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/15/90)

In article <2614@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) writes...

-Has anyone heard of UPSTART, software which permits Mac to print on an Epson
-printer?  I heard that it's a commercial software that costs about $50 but I
-haven't been able to find it anywhere. Any clues, rumors, hints about UPSTART,
-or similar software would be much appreciated.

Have not heard of this package. However I have used PrintLink from GDT
Software to make a Mac drive an Epson 9-pin printer and I'm reasonably
impressed with it.

adlx@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (01/17/90)

In article <2977@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>In article <2614@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) writes...
>
>-Has anyone heard of UPSTART, software which permits Mac to print on an Epson
>-printer?  I heard that it's a commercial software that costs about $50 but I
>-haven't been able to find it anywhere. Any clues, rumors, hints about UPSTART,
>-or similar software would be much appreciated.
>
>Have not heard of this package. However I have used PrintLink from GDT
>Software to make a Mac drive an Epson 9-pin printer and I'm reasonably
>impressed with it.

I am reasonably certain he meant EPSTART from SoftStyle.  When it originally
came out for the 128k MAC it was a remarkable program.  I haven't used it since
system 3.X when my copy broke ( no I didn't try to get it updated).  Epson now
has a driver for the MAC that works with their LQ printers.  They have no plans
to support their old 9 pin printers, however.  If you only want to use the printer to list files.  You can probably get by with a printer driver by using one
of the file listing programs that were on the BBS's a few years ago if you can
still find one.

Alan LeGrand

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (01/17/90)

In article <19717@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> adlx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Alan D. LeGrand) writes:
>In article <2977@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>>In article <2614@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) writes...
>>
>>-Has anyone heard of UPSTART, software which permits Mac to print on an Epson
>>-printer?  I heard that it's a commercial software that costs about $50 but I
>>-haven't been able to find it anywhere. Any clues, rumors, hints about UPSTART,
>>-or similar software would be much appreciated.
>>
>>Have not heard of this package. However I have used PrintLink from GDT
>>Software to make a Mac drive an Epson 9-pin printer and I'm reasonably
>>impressed with it.
>>
>I am reasonably certain he meant EPSTART from SoftStyle.  When it originally

I think Softstyle, which was bought out by Phoenix Technologies is kaput.
For a while they didn't answer their fhones; then the number was listed
as no longer in service with no new number.  I'm VERY impressed with
Printlink, especially after trying to use Softstyle Printworks.

						-bill
						wbrown@lbl.gov

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have nothing to do with the
    official policy or management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't care
    less about employees who play with trains.