[comp.sys.mac] MacWorld's Phony Offers

proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) (01/10/90)

Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.

I'm now certain of several things:

1)	MacWorld uses the sleaziest marketing tactics I've ever
	heard of;

2)	I'm never EVER going to buy an issue of that ad-rag;

3)	I still need a new mouse pad.

I'd add more, but the collection agency just asked me to power down
the Mac so they can cart it away.  Beware!

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/10/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.

Hate to tell you this after you've said such nasty things but after a long
wait, I got my free issue, then a few weeks later, a mouse pad.  It's red
with white lines that make a checkerboard with MacWorld written on the bottom.
I'm a very satisfied customer.
--Willi

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (01/10/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:

stuf deleted...

>3)	I still need a new mouse pad.

I got one of their pads, you're not missing out on anything. It's the worse
mouse pad I have ever seen! I'm sure after all the hastle you have been through
that you would have been even more pissed off after getting it!

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu

friedman@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Daniel Friedman) (01/10/90)

>... stuff about MacWorld's subscriptions dept. tactics ...

  A few years ago I got a letter from MacWorld, backaddressed to their
"collections department" (or maybe it was the "legal department" - something
vaguely threatening, anyway). It turned out to be just another offer to
renew my subscription. So I'd have to agree that these guys are sleazy.
  By the way, an easy way to get a subscription at a price a lot lower than
what they claim in their sleazy letters is the "absolute lowest" is to go
through one of those companies that offers educational discounnts on various
magazines. They typically put packets of their order forms on campus bulletin
boards. The ones on our bulletin boards at UH will get you MacWorld for $15.

- Dan Friedman

abbott@dean.Berkeley.EDU (=Mark Abbott) (01/10/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.

Exactly the same thing happened to me a year ago.  At the time I assumed
it was an isolated accident and just slogged through the hassle.  However,
I was genuinely annoyed that could find no way to call MacWorld to settle
the problem nor could I talk to a person at North Shore Collection Agency.
Eventually it was straightened out but urg.  Given that this still seems
to be happening I'd advise everybody to avoid any offers of "one trial
issue" from MacWorld.

	Mark

	abbott@dean.berkeley.edu

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (01/10/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.

Same thing happened to me. I contacted a lawyer and he suggested to
just ignore the Collection Notice. Since then I have been approved for
a Discover Card, so I guess his advice was sound.

>I'm now certain of several things:
>
>1)	MacWorld uses the sleaziest marketing tactics I've ever
>	heard of;

That's why I decided not to subscribe.

>2)	I'm never EVER going to buy an issue of that ad-rag;

Me too.

>3)	I still need a new mouse pad.

Here I have to side with MacWorld since their offer clearly states that
you receive the mouse pad with your PAID subscription.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (01/10/90)

Fred Proctor writes about filling in a request for a subscription to
MacWorld, promptly followed by calls from a collection agency rather
than the free mousepad and complimentary issue promised.  Other folk
have chimed in that they too have experienced such things with MacWorld.

IF YOU HAVE, then go talk to someone at the local post office.  There
are lots of worthwhile and strict laws about unsolicited mail, legal
responsibilities, and such of that nature.

You might also find it worthwhile to write to some people at MacWorld
directly too:

	Editor-in-chief         : Jerry Borrell
	President and Publisher : James E. Martin
	Circulation Manager     : Lindsay Davidson
	Fulfillment Coordinator : Evelyn Adenau

	MacWorld Communications
	Editorial Department, 5th Floor
	501 Second Street
	San Francisco, CA  94107
	(415) 243-0505

	or, from Usenet:  Macworld1@applelink.apple.com

Note that all this information *is* available in the magazine
and easy to find, too.  Also, I have had no problems at all with
the magazine, including their prompt processing of a change of
address form a few months ago.  Now if they could beef up their
editorial content... ;-)

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

mlg@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mike Goodrich) (01/10/90)

>>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
>>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.
>
>Exactly the same thing happened to me a year ago.  At the time I assumed
>it was an isolated accident and just slogged through the hassle.  However,
>I was genuinely annoyed that could find no way to call MacWorld to settle
>the problem nor could I talk to a person at North Shore Collection Agency.
>Eventually it was straightened out but urg.  Given that this still seems
>to be happening I'd advise everybody to avoid any offers of "one trial
>issue" from MacWorld.

I hate to say this but MacWorld is by no means the only magazine that uses
these so called tactics.  I had this happen to me with a magazine called
Publish.  I filled out the free trial issue and free gif card.  After about
two nasty notices I called them and asked what the was deal. I just wanted to
check out the free issue and get a free gift.  They said that when you fill
out the card you are actually accepting the subscription and responsibility
for the payment.  I told them to cancel my subscription and needless to say
I didn't pay for it.  I did get my free DeskTop publishing tips book though.

The point is that magazines expect when you fill out one of their subscription
cards that you want to subscribe.  Even though they have a free trial offer
or something like that.

quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) (01/10/90)

In article <6096@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> friedman@uhccux.UUCP (Daniel Friedman) writes:

>  By the way, an easy way to get a subscription at a price a lot lower than
>what they claim in their sleazy letters is the "absolute lowest" is to go
>through one of those companies that offers educational discounts on various
>magazines. They typically put packets of their order forms on campus bulletin
>boards. The ones on our bulletin boards at UH will get you MacWorld for $15.
>
>- Dan Friedman

Same for MacUser.  There are more than one company, BTW, and not all
carry all magazines.  In the book store they'll have some others.

Also (a tactic I learned from dealing with Outside magazine), when they
contact you for a renewal, they will start with their regular price and
eventually get to a special renewal offer.  Neither of which is as
low as the educational price.  If you send them a letter or call,
telling them you can get a new subscription for the educational price,
they will allow you to resubscribe for the educational price.  You do
have to mention a school, so this should only be valid if you're a
student, staff, or faculty member (or willing to deceive).
-- Clark

Clark N. Quinn
Learning Research and Development Center
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(412) 624-9581
quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu

perkins@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (mark.perkins) (01/10/90)

In article <7541@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:
>In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said

	[stuff deleted]

>Same thing happened to me. I contacted a lawyer and he suggested to
>just ignore the Collection Notice. Since then I have been approved for
>a Discover Card, so I guess his advice was sound.

	[stuff deleted]

>>3)	I still need a new mouse pad.
>
>Here I have to side with MacWorld since their offer clearly states that
>you receive the mouse pad with your PAID subscription.

I had the same problem as the rest of these folks.  However, the
offer of a free mouse pad was just that, a FREE mouse pad, paid
subscription or not.  I got the mouse pad, but also got the letter
from the North Shore Collections, even after writing CANCEL on all
of the bills from Macworld.

FYI, North Shore does not report to any credit bureaus.  At least
that's what their recorded messages said after I went through all
of the hassles to get this crap cleared up.

--
Mark Perkins
Internet:  mark@mtqub.att.com		AT&T Bell Laboratories

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (01/10/90)

About a year ago, I received a similar offer from MacWorld.  I had subscribed
a few years ago but dropped it when the fluff to content ratio became high.
However, on the what-the-hay principle, I returned the card to get the free
issue and mouse pad.  They sent me the mouse pad and the free issue, which of
course was about as fluffy as I had remembered it.  I wrote CANCEL in big
permanent marker letters on the bill and sent it back.

Not only did MacWorld not hassle me in the slightest, but a couple of months
later, they sent me another trial issue offer!

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

brian@padouk.ima.isc.com (Brian R. Holt) (01/11/90)

In article <7541@cs.utexas.edu>, knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:

> >3)	I still need a new mouse pad.
>
> Here I have to side with MacWorld since their offer clearly states that
> you receive the mouse pad with your PAID subscription.

Hmm, the one I got said you got a free mouse pad just for sending back
the card and accepting the trial issue, which I did. Note that the card
had no place for a signature, you just had to drop it in the mail.
When I got the bill, I returned it unopened with the word CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION
NOW in big red letters. I had to do this several times. I don't know whether
they actually did or not, since I was getting it at work, and I've changed
jobs. The mouse pad is pretty, though.

I also filled out their questionnaire at MacWorld Expo last summer, and
they gave me a free subscription. I hate poorly designed questionnaires.
I answered as honestly as I could, but I'm afraid I came out sounding
like the buyer for the world's largest Mac customer. Is it my fault the
questions don't take into account that some of us are Unix hackers and
not paper pushers?

		=brian

brian@ima.isc.com
US 617-661-7474 x206
near the Charles River

bj@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Brion Johnson) (01/11/90)

>I hate to say this but MacWorld is by no means the only magazine that uses
>these so called tactics.  I had this happen to me with a magazine called
>Publish.  I filled out the free trial issue and free gif card.  After about
>two nasty notices I called them and asked what the was deal. I just wanted to

ahem... I believe MacWorld and Publish are owned by the same people...

Brion

seiter@mips.COM (Dave Seiter) (01/11/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov>, proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
> Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
> MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
> "Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
> letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
> mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
> delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
> out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.
>
> I'm now certain of several things:
>
> 1)	MacWorld uses the sleaziest marketing tactics I've ever
> 	heard of;
>
> 2)	I'm never EVER going to buy an issue of that ad-rag;
>
> 3)	I still need a new mouse pad.
>
> I'd add more, but the collection agency just asked me to power down
> the Mac so they can cart it away.  Beware!

I had the same thing happen to me last year!  I was getting the one free
copy and then canceling every time they sent me a trial offer. (slightly
unethical I suppose, but it's hard to turn down anything free)  They ignored
the cancelation notices this time and said that I had to pay for 2-3 issues.
I decided that I wasn't going to waste any more postage on them.  Then the
agency started sending me their trash... I actually called them to clear things
up (but NOT pay), and their fancy answering machine died in the middle of call.

At that point I decided to ignore the agency, Macworld and anyone connected
with either.

Did I ever get the mouse pad, you ask??
As a matter of fact yes; the piece of junk came about 5 months later.  Cheap
fabric top, "decorations" that impeaded mouse tracking and the edges were
curled.  You get what you pay for.....

I have discovered since then that my Mac and I are very happy and aware of
what is current *without* Macworld.   Yeah! I'm free....
Dave Seiter

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (01/11/90)

	I had one of those banzai billing experiences with a now-defunct
computer magazine a couple years back.  I guess the "truth" behind the
advertising was that I was to receive 13 issues, but only be billed for
12.  The funny thing was that I got the bill within 2 weeks of sending
in the card, but didn't get the magazine until 6 weeks after the first
bill.
	I promptly sent back the bill (and another that came 2 weeks later),
telling them I hadn't received my "free issue for examination."  I finally did
get an issue, discovered the
magazine to be a piece of trash, and told them to cancel.  Of course, it
wasn't that easy, and I only stopped hearing them after I had sent back
4 unpaid bills with large "CANCEL"s written across them, and replied to
one letter from their "collection" department, saying I had retained the
services of a lawyer and planned to litigate should they send me one
more bill or correspondence.  Never heard from them again, and my
American Excess card, et al. seem to indicate my credit was not marred
by the incident.
	I never did get my free gift. :-)

DISCLAIMER:  Any opinions expressed are not those of my employer, even at such
             time they may be that of my employer. Nor are they my own.
UUCP/Internet/ARPA/(anything)  James.Osborne@mac.Dartmouth.edu

ar4@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (01/11/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.
>
>1)	MacWorld uses the sleaziest marketing tactics I've ever
>	heard of;
>
>2)	I'm never EVER going to buy an issue of that ad-rag;
>
>3)	I still need a new mouse pad.

Need one of their mouse pads? I had three of them. They smell kinda funny
though so I got rid of two and kept one. They, like all companies, want you
to pay for their magazine. They send you a free copy in hopes that you will
continue with a subscription. I've sent back MANY MANY MANY letters with
CANCEL written on them and also received a letter from North Shore as you did.
I think they came up with that ploy this last month. I doubt that it's a real
collection agency, just some in-house rough boys. Anyways, they never actually
do anything, they just bug the hell out of you for a while (just like a car
salesman when he gets your phone number....)

Moral of the story, send back one or two of the CANCEL cards.... if they
continue, then just write them a nasty post-it note and tack it to the invoice.
Maybe then, they'll take you off the hit list... GOOD LUCK!!!

| Piper Keairnes | ar4@mentor.cc.purdue.edu |      General Consultant       |
| (317) 495-4273 |   Macintosh Enthusiast   | Purdue Univ. Computing Center |

In article <12989@cbnews.ATT.COM> mlg@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mike Goodrich,45256,cb,1L334,6148602116) writes:
>I hate to say this but MacWorld is by no means the only magazine that uses
>these so called tactics.  I had this happen to me with a magazine called
>Publish.  I filled out the free trial issue and free gif card.  After about
>two nasty notices I called them and asked what the was deal. I just wanted to
>check out the free issue and get a free gift.  They said that when you fill
>out the card you are actually accepting the subscription and responsibility
>for the payment.  I told them to cancel my subscription and needless to say
>I didn't pay for it.  I did get my free DeskTop publishing tips book though.

Another magazine that has gotten into this type of "entrapment" of new
subscribers is Dr. Dobb's Journal. The only difference between them and the
companies like MacWorld and MacUser is that they do not supply you with a
postage paid envelope. So, I'm sending my responses back POSTAGE DUE!!! HA!

capslock@wet.UUCP (Allen Crider) (01/11/90)

In article <12989@cbnews.ATT.COM> mlg@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mike Goodrich,45256,cb,1L334,6148602116) writes:
>>>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>>>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>>>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>>>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>>>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.
>>

>I hate to say this but MacWorld is by no means the only magazine that uses
>these so called tactics.  I had this happen to me with a magazine called
>Publish.

Publish! comes from the same group (and same building) as MacWorld. I
have one of their free offer cards right here:

"YES, I'd like to sample the next issue of Publish. I understand that(sic)
I'll also receive two gifts: "101 Best Desktop Publishing Tips" Volumes
1 and 2--FREE--just for trying Publish. If I like my free issue, I'll pay
just $21.97 for a total of 12 issues in all....etc.
If I don't choose to subscribe, I'll return your subscription bill marked
"cancel" and owe nothing. THE FREE ISSUE AND THE TWO FREE GIFTS ARE MINE
TO KEEP--FREE."

Couldn't be plainer. The capital letters are theirs.

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/11/90)

I have to add a little more to the discussion.  At the beginning of last
year, the university purchased a bunch of Macs.  They filled out the
registration cards for all of them and sent them in to Apple.  For some
reason, someone put my name on about 20 of them.

At the botton of these registration cards is a little box that if checked
entitles you to two free issues of MacWorld.  Well, they checked this box
on all 100 cards.

Luckily by the time these magazines started coming I had moved on to my
current job, so I didn't have to bring up the mail these two months --
100 MacWorld magazines is a little much to carry at one time.

The people around to sort the mail didn't know why these were coming, but
since 20 of them had my name on them, they forwarded them to me.  Fine
and dandy (even though I already had my own subscription -- it was fun
giving the copies away).

Then a couple of months later, I started getting all of these collection
notices (to my old work address) which were forwarded on to me.  I trashed
all of them after several calls to MacWorld.  Needless to say, I wasn't
very pleased.

I haven't heard anything else from them since (except for renewal offers
on my real subscription) so I've been happy for a while.

-Michael

p.s.  Rates up there with MacUser's offer that I received 1 month after I
      started my subscription to their magazine.  If I renewed then for
      another year, they would give me an additional $1 off, since that is
      the amount of money that they would save by not repeatedly sending
      me renewal notices.  I considered it, if only to prevent more junk
      mail...

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

chris@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) (01/11/90)

In article <2505@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>Several months ago, my colleagues and I each received an offer from
>MacWorld magazine for a free mouse pad and trial issue.  We all said
>"Sure, why not?"  What a mistake.  After receiving several harassing
>letters from MacWorld (to which we responded with queries abour our
>mosue pads and requests for cancellations), we've been put on the
>delinquency list of the North Shore collection agency.  After filling
>out an unsolicited bulk-mailed freebie card!  What a bunch of slimeballs.

I had this happen to me on another magazine (Vanity Fair -- ugh) when it
first came out, and got a similar runaround.  When I got the letter from
the collection agency, I got *furious* and wrote a very angry note on the
letter (started off "I WILL accept an apology..." and went on from there!)
and sent it back to them.  They ceased and desisted, because I believe that
LEGALLY, they were in the wrong!

What I didn't do, and *SHOULD HAVE*, was included photocopies of the abuse
in a letter to VF's editor, and YOU SHOULD DO THIS *FOR* MacWorld.  Why
for MacWorld?  Well, because I believe that this WAS NOT EVER MacWorld's
desire or intention; the slimeballs are the marketing/distributing company
people (I use the term 'people' loosely :-) who are trying to sucker people
with this abuse.

Let MacWorld know they are being slimed-by-association.

	--chris sterritt
	chris@adms-rad.unisys.com

jonu@aberdeen.FtCollins.NCR.com (Jon Udell) (01/12/90)

In article <34335@mips.mips.COM> seiter@mips.COM (Dave Seiter) writes:

>I was getting the one free copy and then canceling every time they sent me
>a trial offer. (slightly unethical I suppose, but it's hard to turn down
>anything free).

Most of these offers give you one "free" issue, then charge you the full
subscription price for the remaining 11 if you decide to subscribe.  Thus
the issue is only free if you don't subscribe.  Hence I don't see anything
unethical about cancelling.  I used to make it a policy to accept these
offers with the intention of cancelling just because I felt they were
trying to insult my intelligence.  When I received a bill, I would hold on
to it until the magazine and/or gift arrived, then return it marked
"cancel".  I never had any problem with collection agencies, and due to
lack of communication between the publisher and the billing service I
usually received two to three free issues per offer.

--Jon

geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks) (01/12/90)

I had a similar experience with Computerworld, a rag for MIS professionals.
I returned the bill marked cancel, but continued to get it.  I certainly
didn't want it, since it was inferior to Infoworld, which is free.
A few months later a got a letter from their collection agency.  I
have ignored it.  If anything appears on my credit rating I will sue,
of course.  MacWorld is now free to those who qualify, so you might
want to see if you qualify before paying for it.

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (01/13/90)

Hmmm... when in doubt, why not just use a phony name when responding to one
of these fantastic offers? Then let 'em harass J. Random Loser until they
get bored. -Russ

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (01/13/90)

I had a similar problem with "Mother Jones" magazine (slimebags, IMHO) and
solved the problem by sending them (and their collection agency) letters
accusing them of mail fraud and promising to call in the Postmaster if they
didn't stop trying to collect a non-existent debt.

Sam

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (01/13/90)

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) writes:

| I had a similar problem with "Mother Jones" magazine (slimebags, IMHO) and
| solved the problem by sending them (and their collection agency) letters
| accusing them of mail fraud and promising to call in the Postmaster if they
| didn't stop trying to collect a non-existent debt.

MJ is a great magazine, but their subscription people are idiots... I
had the same problem until I called them collect, and straightened it
out.

One shouldn't have to do such things though...

nrg

--
York University          | "Philosophers who make the general claim that a
Department of Philosophy |       rule simply 'reduces to' its formulations

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (01/14/90)

People, please keep in mind that the mailing/circulation department is
often separate from the subscription department -- in fact, many
magazines hire a service to do the subscriptions.  Consequently, it
does take a while for the word to get from the subscription people to
the circulation people that you've cancelled.  (This is also the
reason that you get two or three issues before they realize you've
cancelled.)

Incidentally, in some magazines, the circulation and subscription
departments are known as "fulfillment" departments, because it's about
fulfilling subscriptions.  That's a title I've always wanted to have:
Director of Fulfillment. :-)

--
I already have a boyfriend, so you needn't talk to me or send me
e-mail if you consider that "wasting your time."

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (01/18/90)

In article <315@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>MacWorld, promptly followed by calls from a collection agency rather
>than the free mousepad and complimentary issue promised.  Other folk
>have chimed in that they too have experienced such things with MacWorld.

I filled out one of these cards too but nothing happened.  Then one day, I
started receiving the Magazine.  I looked at the mailing label and it
indicates the subscription ends in 1992.  I've been receiving it for
a few months now but I haven't seen a bill nor a mouse pac.  I'm worried
that in 1992 they'll send me a big bill.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT