[comp.sys.mac] "Beep" INIT - I'll give it to you, can you give it to me?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (01/16/90)

There.  THAT subject line should catch people's attention...

I have a little INIT program called "Beep".  It apparently patches the
SysBeep routine so instead of producing dinky little bells or monkeys
or boings, the Mac chimes with a three-note chord whenever it beeps.

It really makes the Mac sound great - if you'd like me to, I'll post
it here.

Problem is, it has a problem.  Every now and then, if you set your
Mac's volume to 0, a beep will make your screen flash rapidly and your
session go down in flames.  And Music Destruction - er, Music
Construction Set causes this misanthropic phenomenon to occur with
disturbing regularity no matter whan the current volume.

Does anyone happen to have the source code for this program, or maybe
source code for something like it, or source code for anything generic
that patches into SysBeep or that generates a tri-tonal chord?

Thank you for your support.

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (01/16/90)

In article <12948@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

>Does anyone happen to have the source code for this program, or maybe
>source code for something like it, or source code for anything generic
>that patches into SysBeep or that generates a tri-tonal chord?

The obvious solution would go and borrow a MacRecorder, turn
on the V50, select a nice sound (V50 Harp ?) and just make a
sound resource containing a tri-tonal chord. But that's cheating :-)

h+
--
   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (01/17/90)

>Every now and then, if you set your Mac's volume to 0, a beep will make
>your screen flash rapidly

This is a "feature" - your menu bar, but not the whole screen, flashes when
you set the sound level to 0. This was handy for a deaf friend who was using
my Mac once. Also handy for latenight sessions when others are sleeping.

>and your session go down in flames.

That I dunno about. Must be a bug in the INIT not handling level 0 correctly.
-Russ

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (01/18/90)

In article <12948@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>I have a little INIT program called "Beep".  It apparently patches the
>SysBeep routine so instead of producing dinky little bells or monkeys
>or boings, the Mac chimes with a three-note chord whenever it beeps.
>Problem is, it has a problem.  Every now and then, if you set your
>Mac's volume to 0, a beep will make your screen flash rapidly and your
>session go down in flames.  And Music Destruction - er, Music
>Construction Set causes this misanthropic phenomenon to occur with
>disturbing regularity no matter whan the current volume.
>Does anyone happen to have the source code for this program, or maybe
>source code for something like it, or source code for anything generic
>that patches into SysBeep or that generates a tri-tonal chord?

Sounds like Beep isn't treating the sound driver/manager with enough
respect.  Maybe it was written for an older system or maybe it wasn't tested
enough...  I think MCS expects to keep control of the sound chip... Anyway,
I don't have source for it, but for a SysBeep patch I wrote called Beep
Shuffle.  Maybe you can compare their disassemblies...

		"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
					- Tikkler

--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.UUCP