[comp.sys.mac] Weird problem with VersaTerm 4.0

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (01/17/90)

I just experienced a weird problem with VersaTerm 4.0.  I tried to launch it
on my 4 Mb SE with MS Word 4.0 already loaded in to MF, and I got a dialog
box telling me there wasn't enough Finder memory.  I thought this ridiculous,
so I checked the About Finder... item, and saw that I should have had PLENTY
of memory.  I rebooted, and tried to launch Versaterm FIRST (nothing else open
in MF), and got the same message.  The About Finder... box informed me that I
still had over 3 Mb of RAM available in my largest block!  What was going on?

I checked the Get Info box for VersaTerm, and, to my surprise, BOTH the
"Suggested Memory Size" and "Application Memory Size" (in the little box) were
listed as "n/a".  I changed them to this, and the date of last modification
was last summer!  I didn't even know the former item ("Suggested Memory Size",
the item NOT in the little box), could ever change.  Panicking, I replaced
the VersaTerm application with a copy from the original disk, and suddenly
everything worked--despite the fact that the date of last modification was
the same!  The"n/a" was now at its "normal" value.

Does anybody know what might have caused this?  I'm a little concerned that
something is trashing my software, but I have found no viruses.  Help!

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (01/17/90)

> I checked the Get Info box for VersaTerm, and, to my surprise, BOTH the
> "Suggested Memory Size" and "Application Memory Size" (in the little box) were
> listed as "n/a".  I changed them to this, and the date of last modification
> was last summer!  I didn't even know the former item ("Suggested Memory Size",
> the item NOT in the little box), could ever change.  Panicking, I replaced...

I meant I NEVER changed them to this (althoug that is probably clear from the
context of the next senetence.  Any ideas?  Anyone?

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (01/18/90)

in article <23294@ut-emx.UUCP>, by jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau):

> [ VersaTerm's memory allocation for MultiFinder going from some
>   number to "n/a" without explanation. ]

Sounds like some program trashed VersaTerm's SIZE resource.

Are you a ResEdit hack? :-)
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

prg@bonnie.ATT.COM (Paul R. Gloudemans) (01/18/90)

In article <23269@ut-emx.UUCP>, jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
> I just experienced a weird problem with VersaTerm 4.0.  I tried to launch it
> I checked the Get Info box for VersaTerm, and, to my surprise, BOTH the
> "Suggested Memory Size" and "Application Memory Size" (in the little box) were
> listed as "n/a".  [Remaining stuff deleted.]
>
> Does anybody know what might have caused this?  I'm a little concerned that
> something is trashing my software, but I have found no viruses.  Help!

The "n/a" in the "Suggested" and "Application" Memory Size boxes is
normal if Versaterm was running under Multifinder at the time you did
the "Get Info".  I don't have version 4.0 but previous versions were
not configured properly right from the shrink wrap for running under
Multifinder; had to increase the "Application Memory Size" allotted to
account for MF overhead.  I suspect that after you re-installed and
did the "Get Info" Versaterm was NOT running and thus the memory sizes
appeared "normal".

Just increase the "Application Memory Size" and Versaterm should run
properly under MF.