[comp.sys.mac] uucp for mac

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (12/02/89)

Somehow I missed the binary of uucp under the Mac system/finder.  I would
appreciate if somone would e-mail that to me.

Thanks for the help.

Mel Shear
!rex!mgse!fleet!mel

dixie@i-core.UUCP (Egan F. Ford) (01/09/90)

I am looking for all UUCP packages for the mac.  I'd appreciate the name and
possibly the location of any (or all :-).

thanks

dixie@i-core   ...uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!dixie

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan9.071243.9585@i-core.UUCP>, dixie@i-core.UUCP (Egan F. Ford) writes:
> I am looking for all UUCP packages for the mac.  I'd appreciate the name and
> possibly the location of any (or all :-).
>
> thanks
>
> dixie@i-core   ...uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!dixie

Please summarize your findings to the net, as several people are interested
in mac connectivity to the net.

Thanks.

--
	Marvin Jones 		 uucp:    {pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		 bell-net: 707-795-9444 X 206

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (01/16/90)

wrote:

> I am looking for all UUCP packages for the mac.  I'd appreciate the name and
> possibly the location of any (or all :-).

UUPC is a free program that works on several computers.  It was originally
written for the PC, but I am currently using the Mac version.  There are
two Mac versions that I know of: one works under the Aztec C Shell, and the
other is compiled with LightSpeed C.

The system works fairly well, and allows transfer of mail and news articles
(though the absence of newsreading software makes handling the latter a bit
of a pain).  The mail program is a decent emulation of standard unix mail,
though it is missing some features, like CC and an easy reply facility.  I
use a combination of the software provided, plus judicious use of a text
editor DA, to get done what I need to.  I've adjusted fairly well to getting
done all of the things I need to do with mail, including easily including
existing Mac text files in mail (like BinHexed files...).  The only hard
part for most people will be arranging with another site to provide a mail
and/or news feed for them to dial in to.

If there's a good deal of interest, please let me know, and I will post the
UUCP binaries, along with the sources, the documentation files (such as they
are), and an extra file that I'm writing that will EXPLAIN the UUPC docs so
you can actually get it up and working.  I'll post it to info-mac and to
comp.binaries.mac.

In the meantime, if anyone HAS the software already and is having trouble
getting it working, feel free to ask for help.  I've ironed out my problems
with it; I might as well share my solutions with you.

Mark H. Anbinder         "Apparently -- thinks I'm a nice accomodating guy.
BAKA Computers, Inc.      Please explain to him that I am a son of a bitch."
200 Pleasant Grove Road                         ... Robert A. Heinlein 1961
Ithaca, NY 14850
607-257-3480              ..!batcomputer!memory!mha            -  STARNET  -
                          mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu           MEMORY  ALPHA

cshotton@buster.irby.com (Chuck Shotton) (01/18/90)

Version 2.0(?) of uupc for the Mac is available from info-mac now. This
version is a much improved (cleaned-up) implementation that includes source
compatible with Think C 4.0. The source builds correctly the first time!