[comp.sys.mac] Solarian II-Mac 2ci-BOMBA!

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (01/17/90)

Hi Ho,

Just a quick note to tell the net that Solarian II, that GREAT COLOR
arcade game for the Mac II and above DOES NOT work on a Mac 2Ci with
Rasterops Color/264 board.  It displays the opening and help screens
correctly, but when you try to start the game, bomba!

BTW, I am not sure if it is the colorboard/264 or the 2ci that
breaks it!

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (01/18/90)

In article <7520@shlump.nac.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>Hi Ho,
>
>Just a quick note to tell the net that Solarian II, that GREAT COLOR
>arcade game for the Mac II and above DOES NOT work on a Mac 2Ci with
>Rasterops Color/264 board.  It displays the opening and help screens
>correctly, but when you try to start the game, bomba!

We've had lots of problems with Solarian.  DO NOT try to start it on a
Plus!  The new version that was supposed to fix the color table bug
now won't start at all: claims not enough application memory at 2MB...
This is on a IIcx with 8-bit color, and 4MB of memory.

Perhaps the author could label it "Beta", so we know what we're getting
into?
--
-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                  nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (01/18/90)

In article <7520@shlump.nac.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>Hi Ho,
>
>Just a quick note to tell the net that Solarian II, that GREAT COLOR
>arcade game for the Mac II and above DOES NOT work on a Mac 2Ci with
>Rasterops Color/264 board.  It displays the opening and help screens
>correctly, but when you try to start the game, bomba!

Here's another cute bug, but this one is Apple's...

In Solarian II, to fire the scissors, you have to hit the
l;' 3-key combination.  On Extended ADB keyboards, this isn't
a problem.  The 3-key combination will register.  BUT, on
Standard ADB keybaords, it's impossible to register those
3 keys at the same time.

Other than that, Solarian II is a GREAT game.  I only wish I had
a Mac II so I could play it.  *sigh*

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (01/18/90)

In article <15560@well.UUCP> nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) writes:
>In article <7520@shlump.nac.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>>Hi Ho,
>>
>>Just a quick note to tell the net that Solarian II, that GREAT COLOR
>>arcade game for the Mac II and above DOES NOT work on a Mac 2Ci with
>>Rasterops Color/264 board.  It displays the opening and help screens
>>correctly, but when you try to start the game, bomba!
>>
>We've had lots of problems with Solarian.  DO NOT try to start it on a
>Plus!  The new version that was supposed to fix the color table bug
>now won't start at all: claims not enough application memory at 2MB...
>This is on a IIcx with 8-bit color, and 4MB of memory.
>
>Perhaps the author could label it "Beta", so we know what we're getting
>into?
>--

I think you have a bad copy. I have an 8-bit color CX and it works just fine
and I only have 2 meg.

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/19/90)

In article <15560@well.UUCP>, nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) writes:
> We've had lots of problems with Solarian.  DO NOT try to start it on a
> Plus!  The new version that was supposed to fix the color table bug
> now won't start at all: claims not enough application memory at 2MB...
> This is on a IIcx with 8-bit color, and 4MB of memory.
>
> Perhaps the author could label it "Beta", so we know what we're getting
> into?

Where can I find Solarian II?  It doesn't appear to be on sumex...

Eric, tinkerer-at-large

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what