[comp.sys.mac] ZTerm filenames

ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (01/18/90)

Is is possible to avoid the changes that Zterm makes to filenames before
it uploads a file via Zmodem?

I would, at least, like it to keep the entire name with the exception of
spaces in the name. Anyone think that the ability to change name handling
might change in an upcoming version??

--Piper Keairnes
ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/18/90)

In article <3863@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) writes:
>Is is possible to avoid the changes that Zterm makes to filenames before
>it uploads a file via Zmodem?

If you're using ZTerm 0.85, before you select a file to upload (add button)
click in the box at the bottom of the dialog box, "Prompt for host name"
and when you start the upload, it will ask you what name you would like
the file to upload as for every file uploading.

Willi

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/18/90)

In article <3863@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) writes:
> Is is possible to avoid the changes that Zterm makes to filenames before
> it uploads a file via Zmodem?

In 0.85, the only way to do this is to select the "Prompt for file name"
button, and then retype the full filename when the prompt-box appears.

> I would, at least, like it to keep the entire name with the exception of
> spaces in the name. Anyone think that the ability to change name handling
> might change in an upcoming version??

Dave Alverson has been asked to do this... to make the 8+3 name-shortening
optional (moving into the setup-specific options).  He sounded willing to
do this... he hadn't realized how many people have been using ZTerm to
communicate with Unix and other systems that don't require an 8+3
name format.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Willie Perez) writes:
>>Is is possible to avoid the changes that Zterm makes to filenames before
>>it uploads a file via Zmodem?
>
>If you're using ZTerm 0.85, before you select a file to upload (add button)
>click in the box at the bottom of the dialog box, "Prompt for host name"
>and when you start the upload, it will ask you what name you would like
>the file to upload as for every file uploading.

The reason for the original posting was that I was annoyed for having to
manually type in the name that I believe should be automatically passed
instead of being changed in the first place...

Now with that in mind, any other responses out there?

--Piper Keairnes

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (01/18/90)

In article <3863@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) writes:
>Is is possible to avoid the changes that Zterm makes to filenames before
>it uploads a file via Zmodem?
>
>I would, at least, like it to keep the entire name with the exception of
>spaces in the name. Anyone think that the ability to change name handling
>might change in an upcoming version??

  Strangely enough, this is viewed (and refered to in the docs) as an
  improvement from the previous version.  It certainly wasn't there
  in 0.8 of ZTerm.  The reasons for it are, as far as I recall, better
  compatibility with the Neanderthal Operating System's way of restricting
  file names to an 8-character string delimited by an optional dot, followed
  by an optional 3-character identyfying extension.  I don't think it
  possible to hack it back... prior to starting an upload, ZTerm calls
  a routine that explicitly truncates any Mac file name that's non
  conforming to the above convention.  Dave Alverson might change it back,
  though, if we complain loud enuf

--Ian Feldman / ianf@nada.kth.se  ||  uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf / "The computer
             / keyboard is mightier than a pen, that's mightier than a sword"

davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dave Alverson) (01/19/90)

> Is is possible to avoid the changes that Zterm makes to filenames before
> it uploads a file via Zmodem?

There isn't any way in v0.85, without hacking the code.  Now it
wouldnt hurt if all you guys using ZTerm would register and in
your letter tell me: "Hey, dummy, quit screwing up the file name that
you send to Unix systems."

As I recall, I added that feature near the end of .85 development.
I thought it might need a few options, but I didn't want to hold up
the release.

  -- Dave
--
Z  Dave Alverson,  somewhere between Cincinnati & Mason, Ohio
Z  Hello...is this thing on?