[comp.sys.mac] Keeping files on the desktop dangerous?

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) (01/19/90)

Is there really a problem with keeping the contents of my hard disk in folders
on the desktop?  I haven't noticed one, but several people claim that it screws
up the desktop file and makes for crashes and Finder slow downs.  I hope not,
because it seems to be a much faster way of getting to folders, particularly in
MultiFinder.

Thanks,
Thomas Summerall

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/19/90)

In article <18599@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes...
-Is there really a problem with keeping the contents of my hard disk in folders
-on the desktop?  I haven't noticed one, but several people claim that it screws
-up the desktop file and makes for crashes and Finder slow downs.  I hope not,
-because it seems to be a much faster way of getting to folders, particularly in
-MultiFinder.

The only problem I've heard about is that diskette files left on the
desktop won't get copied when doing a diskette to diskette copy. Don't
know if this has been fixed in the latest 6.0 release.

vallon@sboslab15.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (01/19/90)

In article <3001@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross
Yahnke, MACC) writes:
> In article <18599@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Thomas Summerall) writes...
> >[Is there a problem keeping files/folders on the desktop?]
>
> The only problem I've heard about is that diskette files left on the
> desktop won't get copied when doing a diskette to diskette copy. Don't
> know if this has been fixed in the latest 6.0 release.

I though disk-to-disk copies whose capacities are the same become sector
copies.  At least that's what happens now (Finder under System 6.0.2).
If that was a problem, then it appears to have been fixed.

When you disk-to-disk copy to a disk of different capacity, then a file-
copy is done.  I don't know if it also copies the files on the desktop,
but I suppose it is (sort of) correct, from a user-interface point of view,
to copy those files that are only in the disk window, not on the desktop.

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu