[comp.sys.mac] Typewriter Emulation Software for the Mac?

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (01/15/90)

Does anyone know of software which will make the combination of a Mac
and an Imagewriter I or II act like an old-fashioned electronic
typewriter -- that is, when you hit a key the Imagewriter just types
the corresponding letter right where the print head happens to be.
(Arrow keys might make the paper move up/down/left/right just like the
platen on a typewriter.)

We need this capability for filling out preprinted forms and other
old-fashioned typewriter-style applications?  It's frustrating having
to keep an old IBM Selectric around, just to fill out various kinds of
preparinted application forms and recommendation forms.

Thanks...

Internet:  siegman@sierra.stanford.edu
Bitnet:    rw.aap@forsythe

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (01/17/90)

In article <462@sierra.stanford.edu> siegman@sierra.UUCP (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>Does anyone know of software which will make the combination of a Mac
>and an Imagewriter I or II act like an old-fashioned electronic
>typewriter -- that is, when you hit a key the Imagewriter just types
>the corresponding letter right where the print head happens to be.
>(Arrow keys might make the paper move up/down/left/right just like the
>platen on a typewriter.)
>
>Internet:  siegman@sierra.stanford.edu
>Bitnet:    rw.aap@forsythe

I don't beleive this is possible.  Not that the software would be especially
difficult to write; it probably would take only a day or two.  The problem
is that the ImageWriter (like most dot-matrix printers) does not print
characters one at a time.  It collects an entire line of text then prints
it all at once.  Thus, characters are a uniform size and evenly spaced.

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/17/90)

In article <25b3ec78.6cbb@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
|I don't beleive this is possible.  Not that the software would be especially
|difficult to write; it probably would take only a day or two.  The problem
|is that the ImageWriter (like most dot-matrix printers) does not print
|characters one at a time.  It collects an entire line of text then prints
|it all at once.  Thus, characters are a uniform size and evenly spaced.

This is all true, except that the ImageWriters (maybe just the II?) do
have a built in proportional font (not evenly spaced horizontally).  A
corresponding screen font is available with the shareware DA miniWRITER.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

eirikur@ddif.enet.dec.com (Eirikur Hallgrimsson) (01/18/90)

In article <51020@bbn.COM>, levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes...
>In article <25b3ec78.6cbb@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
>|I don't beleive this is possible.  Not that the software would be especially
>|difficult to write; it probably would take only a day or two.  The problem
>|is that the ImageWriter (like most dot-matrix printers) does not print
>|characters one at a time.  It collects an entire line of text then prints
>|it all at once.  Thus, characters are a uniform size and evenly spaced.

I don't think this is true from my own experience doing fancy things with
printers.  If it was true of the Imagewriter, it would still be perfectly
possible to fake the desired behavior by "printing" a line containing one
character at a time, or better yet, by doing something in graphics mode.

Eirikur Hallgrimsson
eh@ddif.enet.dec.com

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/18/90)

In article <7538@shlump.nac.dec.com> eirikur@ddif.enet.dec.com (Eirikur Hallgrimsson) writes:
>>In article <25b3ec78.6cbb@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
>>|I don't beleive this is possible.  Not that the software would be especially
>>|difficult to write; it probably would take only a day or two.  The problem
>>|is that the ImageWriter (like most dot-matrix printers) does not print
>>|characters one at a time.  It collects an entire line of text then prints
>>|it all at once.  Thus, characters are a uniform size and evenly spaced.
>
>I don't think this is true from my own experience doing fancy things with
>printers.  If it was true of the Imagewriter, it would still be perfectly
>possible to fake the desired behavior by "printing" a line containing one
>character at a time, or better yet, by doing something in graphics mode.

Sure!  The approach of 'printing' a line containing one character at a
time would work fine - until you came up against a person who wanted to
print more than one character on each line.

I know what you're saying - you want the ImageWriter to print each
character as it receives it, without sending a linefeed.  The problem
is that the ImageWriter was not built to do this.  Characters are
bufferred until a linefeed is received, at which time the entire line
is printed.  Therefore you can EITHER print one character at a time
each on a seperate line, OR more than one character on a line all to
be printed at the same time (when a linefeed is received).

You *might* be able to fake it by sending one character, then a
carriage return (without a linefeed), then a space and another
character, then another CR, then two spaces and a character, and so
forth ad nauseum, but even a mediocre typist would outrun this method
in no time, and the physical abuse it puts the printer mechanisms
through would not be desireable.

Doing it in graphics mode is not possible either - usually, bitmapped
fonts are too tall for the print head to draw all in one pass.  By the
time you've drawn the entire letter, the print head will be at its
bottom - unable to go back up to draw another character on the same
line.

The bottom line: If you want a typewriter, you'd be best off buying
one rather than simulating one.

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (01/18/90)

>Does anyone know of software which will make the combination of a Mac
>and an Imagewriter I or II act like an old-fashioned electronic
>typewriter -- that is, when you hit a key the Imagewriter just types
>the corresponding letter right where the print head happens to be.
>(Arrow keys might make the paper move up/down/left/right just like the
>platen on a typewriter.)

I found two DAs in my collection, Typer DA and TypeNow. I no longer have an
IW to check these on, but one or both will do what you ask. If you can't find
'em locally, perhaps I could BinHex 'em and email 'em. They're fairly old,
no guarantee they'll still work. -Russ

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/19/90)

I wrote a typewriter emulator for a diablo daisy
wheel printer once. I wrote that in ms basic.
I don't think it would be to hard to write one for
an imagewriter. When I was designing printing
routines for an imagewriter to print on form fed
forms I wrote a little hack to record the print
commands to play  back latter. So it is  possible.
The only problem is that the printhead hides where
it will print so you have to guess.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (01/19/90)

>I found two DAs in my collection, Typer DA and TypeNow. I no longer have an
>IW to check these on, but one or both will do what you ask. If you can't find
>'em locally, perhaps I could BinHex 'em and email 'em. They're fairly old,
>no guarantee they'll still work. -Russ

I believe TypeNow is commercial software.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.